Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The ice twins

(16 Posts)
sallyst123 Thu 19-Feb-15 17:11:09

Just finished reading this & wow!
The story follows the Moorcroft family (sarah, gus & kirstyafter the death of 1 of there identical twin daughters, in an effort to help them through the grief & there surviving daughter through her painful loss they decide to move to a remote Scottish island that has been inherited by them & start again, only just before they are due to leave something happens that makes sarah question if the daughter she thought had died did or if her surviving daughter is who she is?! Complicated. ..yes & even though I didn't want to I did have to keep putting the book down to make sure I had got it all straight in my head.
But this book is a fantastic read.
The description of Torran island really captures beauty & desolation & as the story goes on You feel how claustrophobic sarah must feel on there.
The ice twin In the book was very creepy
"why do you keep calling me kirstie mummy? Kirstie is dead it was kirstie that died. I'm Lydia" ....Most chilling sentence said by a creepy 7 yo twin girl ever!, but you do feel so sorry for her.
This book is getting 5 stars from everywhere & it's understable Why.
If your looking for your next read. Get this you won't be disappointed.
Thank you mumsnet for my copy ☺

Temporaryanonymity Thu 19-Feb-15 17:19:59

See, I thought it was completely predictable. I read the kindle edition and the photos before each chapter bugged me.

I read it to the end just to see if my prediction panned out, and it did.

sallyst123 Thu 19-Feb-15 18:10:47

Oh I really enjoyed it. Didn't see how it was going to end at all.
I don't think the photos were necessary as i thought the description of the island was done really well i could picture it in my mind anyway

toffeelolly Thu 19-Feb-15 20:21:02

Have just bought this book and cannot wait to read it.smile

squeezycheesy Sat 07-Mar-15 22:24:07

Have just posted about this on another thread - I'm not getting on with it at all. Agree that the photos are annoying - they make it just all seem so very ordinary. Feel like I don't know any of the characters and I hate the predictability of the setting.

Halfway through and think I'll give up sad.

Apologies for digging up a Zombie thread!

Just finished this myself and would've read it in one go if I had the chance. I liked all the possibilities and twists. It certainly wasn't a predictable ending or tale and I usually guess the ending about quarter of the way through this kind of book ,at most. I don't think you are meant to 'know' the characters, that's a major part of it really.

Would certainly recommend.

Actually, just to add to that, I'd quite like to see it made into a film. It would be quite eerie with Kristie/Lydia

Hygge Fri 04-Sep-15 12:08:27

It's hard to say why without posting spoilers, but I didn't like the explanation of what happened before the accident, I found it really hard to believe that someone would forget about it.

I did like the idea of not knowing which twin was which though.

Yeah, I found it a bit odd. I guess it is plausible, things happen, BUT it should have played out better than the short sharp way it did. That's what really made it a bit daft. It should've been more than that. Either gradual or being actually told.

noiwontstoptalking Fri 04-Sep-15 12:27:26

I haven't read the book but I know lots if id twin Mums. They can always tell the difference even if no one else can.

Ah,but this is different noiwont

KurriKurri Thu 10-Sep-15 12:41:57

I've just finished this - I agree it was very readable, and gripping, but I was slightly disappointed in the ending, and it all got a bit implausible to say the least. Page turner though ! smile

Booboostwo Thu 10-Sep-15 13:39:35

I didn't like it at all. Poorly written, implausible storyline and two dimensional characters.

lottietiger Mon 26-Oct-15 20:22:17

I really liked it.. I read it on the commute to London and sit it in a couple of days, I found it a real page turner. I did find it implausible at times, but it's fiction what do you expect. I found it entertaining and it kept me reading til the end.
I've already passed it on to a friend.. Thanks for my copy smile

theconstantvacuumer Wed 28-Oct-15 08:46:24

I wasn't impressed by this. The writing was okay although a bit clunky in parts. I think the main problem was the plot and weak ending. Meh!

tripfiction Mon 02-Nov-15 20:13:51

An interesting post via the WH Smith blog on location as a backdrop for The Ice Twins, might be of interest: blog.whsmith.co.uk/s-k-tremayne-a-little-island-off-skye/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Post-02-11-2015&utm_content=books%20&utm_campaign=S.%20K.%20Tremayne:%20A%20Little%20Island%20Off%20Skye

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now