Talk

Advanced search

What is your favourite detective series

(94 Posts)
Haahoooo Thu 19-Feb-15 13:47:28

I have just finished the wonderful Chief Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny... I loved it and am distraught at the thought of having to read something else tonight hmm

Can you recommend a cosy mystery / detective series to me please?

I also loved Ann Cleeves, Elly Griffiths, Andrea Camilleri, Donna Leon and some of the Scandi detectives eg Karin Fossum and Henning Mankell. Bit nothing too violent / action packed - don't particularly like Jo Nesbo for example.

Thank you so much for any tips!

DuchessofMalfi Thu 19-Feb-15 13:57:26

I like Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series.

magimedi Thu 19-Feb-15 14:08:01

I'd second the Simon Serrailler series.

Also love Ian Rankin's Rebus series and Adam Dalgleish series by P D James.

LeBearPolar Thu 19-Feb-15 14:26:40

I have just had flu and am still recovering and the only reading I could cope with was Miss Marple blush Normally I like quite strong stuff: Jo Nesbo, Mo Hayder, Karin Slaughter, Val McDermid, etc.

If you want something really cosy and quite humorous, have you tried Agatha Raisin?

Or how about Ruth Rendell's Wexford, Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey, Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley (although her writing does begin to grate after a while - American writing novels set very firmly in the English upper classes and she doesn't quite capture the tone all the time).

KeyBored Thu 19-Feb-15 14:31:10

Sorry, Polar, but Agatha Raisin sets my teeth on edge -- though I like everyone else you've mentioned.

Elizabeth George needs to stop thinking of herself as the American answer to D L Sayers, really, doesn't she?

Haahooo, have you read the Brother Cadfael series for true cosy-detective-ness?

iseenodust Thu 19-Feb-15 14:33:53

The V I Warshawski series by Sara Paretsky - no graphic gore.

LeBearPolar Thu 19-Feb-15 14:49:09

Ooh yes, Cadfael! <adds to list of things to read with flu when in need of cosy comfort reading>

Haahoooo Thu 19-Feb-15 15:02:58

Thanks everyone! Now I can keep going for a while.

I read the Cadfael books as a slightly odd teenager and did like them a lot. Ditto Agatha Christie.

I wonder what is so appealing about cosy crime...

In case any of you haven't yet, really do try the Louise Penny ones - lots of lovely food being eaten in a picturesque tiny village with a very high murder rate grin

KeyBored Thu 19-Feb-15 15:36:18

Just googled her... looks good!

How about Josephine Tey?

sparkysparkysparky Thu 19-Feb-15 16:42:44

Another vote for Sara Paretsky ' s V I Warshawski. Female PI in Chicago. No gore and wonderful characters including VI herself.

skolastica Thu 19-Feb-15 16:47:31

Johan Theorin

colleysmill Thu 19-Feb-15 16:47:46

I quite liked Alison Bruce's series set in Cambridgeshire - starts with Cambridge Blue and a series set in the Lake District by Martin Edwards (starts with The Coffin Trail)

Laquila Thu 19-Feb-15 16:49:02

I LOVED the Dandy Gilver series, by Catriona McPherson - blackly comic and very clever and engaging protagonists.

Haahoooo Fri 20-Feb-15 09:53:16

I've made a list! Thanks all!

thelittlebooktroll Fri 20-Feb-15 10:06:38

Agatha Christie, Ann Cleves, Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole

tobee Fri 20-Feb-15 14:04:43

I think really it's the lifestyle we go for in lots of books and tv, the characters have to be interesting and the plot comes pretty much last usually. We fancy joining Holnes and Watson on a Victorian train first class carriage, Poirot on the Nile in luxury, massive stately homes and cosy cottages, maids and butlers etc.

thelittlebooktroll Fri 20-Feb-15 14:24:52

I would be very worried if Poirot was on the same holiday as me as you know someone will be murderedwink

Anjelica27 Fri 20-Feb-15 14:31:09

Try Camilla Lackberg. Loved Louise Penny - isn't there a new one due or just come out?

Bellimperia Fri 20-Feb-15 14:31:49

If you like Henning Mankell you should try the Martin Beck series by Sjowall & Wahloo, they are the original scandi crime books from the 1960s. Better than Mankell who got a lot of his style and ideas from these books.

AgathaF Fri 20-Feb-15 14:32:31

Have you tried the Roy Grace books?

flightywoman Fri 20-Feb-15 14:41:11

Do you want modern or vintage?

My mum has mentioned two things to me recently - Phil Rickman's books and a website called www.themurderroom.com/

if vintage...

Margery Allingham (Albert Campion)
Christianna Brand (she wrote the Nurse Matilda children's books)
Michael Innes
Michael Gilbert
Gwendoline Butler/Jennie Melville
ECR Lorac/Carol Carnac (these are quite hard to find, but rewarding if you like your detective fiction from the 30s to 50s)
Pamela Branch
Elizabeth Ferrars
MG Eberhart

I hated the Simon Serrailier series!

SunshineAndShadows Fri 20-Feb-15 14:44:33

Logan Macrae series by Stuart Macbride

Greydog Fri 20-Feb-15 14:49:32

Try Laurie R King's Mary Russel series - I've really enjoyed them - www.laurierking.com/

Rollermum Fri 20-Feb-15 15:04:11

Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. Lovely and unusual.

Anjelica27 Fri 20-Feb-15 15:14:10

Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling) very readable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now