Talk

Advanced search

Girl on a Train worth £6?

(18 Posts)
emkana Sun 08-Feb-15 20:33:59

Not sure if I can justify it though it sounds good...

CalicoBlue Sun 08-Feb-15 21:40:54

I read it yesterday. It is good, it is a very easy read, I read it in a day. I did not want to put it down. Sad book with some good twists. Not a very new story though.

Spatial Sun 08-Feb-15 22:19:11

Average, not worth £6. The first 15 lives of Harry August, however, I'd have paid a tenner for. It was awesome.

ChlorinePerfume Mon 09-Feb-15 08:33:38

I would like to read it but waiting for kindle price to go down... A book has to be really high in my list for me to pay full price for it blush

imaginative Mon 09-Feb-15 09:16:23

This is a hard one. Do I think it is too expensive? Yes. Do I regret paying £6 for it? No, because I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think it is so greedy asking that much for a kindle version as there are virtually no overheads, unlike print books. The author probably gets very little of it too! I guess it all goes to pay the massive marketing campaign. The book was hyped into the stratosphere. There are plenty of equally good much cheaper books out there.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 09-Feb-15 09:27:48

The overheads in books have very little to do with the price of producing a book and the cost of editing, proofreading a book and paying the author. If you think the author gets very little of £6 then how much do you think an author gets from 99p? Very few authors make a living wage because the public thinks books, which take years to write, should cost the same as a chocolate bar and much less than a magazine.

imaginative Mon 09-Feb-15 10:40:34

Good point.

Spatial Mon 09-Feb-15 17:54:06

Indeed, it is shocking how little of JK Rowling's fortune comes from book sales.

grocklebox Mon 09-Feb-15 17:56:29

you can get it for free on tuebl.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 09-Feb-15 20:04:44

I know nothing about tuebl but that doesn't sound legal or moral to me Grockle. How does the author get paid if books are made available like this? If I want to read a book for free I borrow it from the library.

Southeastdweller Mon 09-Feb-15 21:10:34

Why don't you get it from the library? If I want to buy a book I pay about £2 for it from a charity shop, not an option yet with this title of course as it's so new and selling so well.

imaginative Mon 09-Feb-15 21:49:14

My conscience wouldn't let me download a book from those pirate sites. No better than shoplifting IMO.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Tue 10-Feb-15 12:24:15

If you get the book from the library you are a) supporting libraries and b) a small payment is made to the author. Pirate sites are disgusting and are often set ups by organised crime rings.

emkana Tue 10-Feb-15 13:08:12

I certainly wouldn't use a pirate site. 52 reservations at the library...might just buy it on Kindle

Unexpected Tue 10-Feb-15 13:10:06

There are 170 reservations at my library! Not sure if I want to pay £6 though!

CalicoBlue Tue 10-Feb-15 19:24:53

We have a sharing library at work. We bring in books we have read and then others can borrow the books and donate others. Dh says he wants to read it, then I will put it in the work library (box in the kitchen).

Our local train station also has a bookshelf for donating and taking. I often find books there. Dh drops books here too.

I like the idea of recycling and sharing books.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 11-Feb-15 06:09:59

Not worth £6 imo.
The sharing library at work sounds like a great idea.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 11-Feb-15 06:17:02

I paid that for it, it was worth it in that I haven't read much lately and it kept me gripped, I finushed it in a day and could then chat to friends about it.
I have just paid the same for, I let you go, for similar reasons and also to take my mind off a hospital appointment I have today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: