Talk

Advanced search

anyone else for Elizabeth Taylor?

(6 Posts)
carlajean Sun 08-Feb-15 19:01:20

I read The Wedding Group yesterday, and am almost through Palladian. What a writer, she puts most modern writers in the shade. Anyone else like her?

UncrushedParsley Sun 08-Feb-15 19:16:38

Never read her, but I will have a go now smile

Alchemist Sun 08-Feb-15 20:48:34

One of my favourite book is Angel. In fact, I have just finished a book and it is time for a re-read smile.

I have read a few of her books but can't think if the titles. Will post after my rummage.

So, now I have my next two books ready for me; Angel and then Elizabeth and her German garden (Elizabeth von Arnem). For some reason I seem to re-read them "together".

carlajean Mon 09-Feb-15 11:35:41

Well, I've finished Palladian and, writing-wise, it's an absolute knockout, full of chunks of prose that are so good that I want to copy them out and stick them on the fridge door. But, unfortunately, most of the characters have about as much get up and go as jellyfish, and I start thinking 'for goodness sake, just DO something.
Last time I read her (Angel, followed by Mrs Palfrey at the Claremount, bot top notch) I found that I'd had enough for a while, and that's how I feel now, so perhaps she's an author that is easy to read quickly, but has to be rationed.

hackmum Tue 10-Feb-15 18:38:02

Another fan here - haven't read her for years, but had a phase when I read lots of them. Really good and very under-rated.

engeika Tue 10-Feb-15 18:54:39

Yes a fan. A Wreath of Roses - just reread. Really like her books

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: