Talk

Advanced search

UNPREDICTABLE endings!!

(21 Posts)
GetHappy Sun 08-Feb-15 15:46:04

Hi All

I keep seeing a lot of post regarding predictable endings so i thought lets make a list of all the books we have read with unpredictable endings, plots and twists....

imaginative Sun 08-Feb-15 16:10:23

I can recommend 'I Let You Go'. The main twist is very unpredictable. But it comes at around 45% way through. The ending itself is quite predictable, but it didn't spoil it for me.

What Laura Saw has two twists. I guessed one but not the other.

Gods Inc has a couple of twists too, neither of which I guessed.

I actually enjoyed Gone Girl (apart from the ending) and thought it was well executed and slightly unpredictable.

Eeny Meeny is a good unpredictable thriller, but I didn't like the author's next one, Pop Goes the Weasel.

The Memory Box keeps you guessing to the end. But I am not 100% sure I really understood it!

simonettavespucci Sun 08-Feb-15 16:12:49

Fingersmith (Sarah Waters)! Twisty like a game of twister.

CalicoBlue Sun 08-Feb-15 17:52:41

The Magus - John Fowles twists and turns all the way through.

We need to talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver has a couple of wonderful, unpredictable twists.

The Post Birthday Kiss - Lionel Shriver - also has a surprising end.

Comingfoccacia Sun 08-Feb-15 17:55:43

The Wasp Factory immediately springs to mind

ClashCityRocker Sun 08-Feb-15 18:00:03

Noooo I let you go you could see coming from miles off! I remember saying to DH at the time that I didn't think all was as it seems.

I must admit I didn't see the twist in Kevin, but I know a lot of people who say they did.

I guess nothing is universally twisty. Tbf, I think sometimes modern authors are so obsessed with putting a 'twist' in that it gets in the way of the story.

Didn't see the twist in 'we were liars' though.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 08-Feb-15 18:22:48

Big Brother by Lionel Shriver. Brilliant twist, but didn't see it coming at all.

We Were Liars - I didn't see that one either, and was quite shocked. It may be YA but I thought it a really good read.

HeyMicky Sun 08-Feb-15 18:30:01

Primal Fear, by William Diehl. Waits right til the last page. Also a movie with the delicious Edward Norton wink

I saw the ending in, 'Fingersmith' coming pretty early on.

I didn't guess the killer in, 'Joyland' by Stephen King, and felt a bit cheated that he twisted it and tricked me!

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 08-Feb-15 19:22:43

Until you're Mine. Didn't see that coming and the twist doesn't come until right at the end which I loved. I rarely read books where there is a really good twist but when I find one I love it. Thanks for the suggestions grin

BrilliantineMortality Mon 09-Feb-15 18:37:00

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Agatha Christie although I had heard so much about the brilliantly wonderful twist for such a long time that when I finally got around to reading it I guessed it a mile off

I'm kind of sticking my fingers in my ears on this thread, in particular I Let You Go as I want to read it. The more expected a twist is, even if there are no other spoilers, the more likely I am to work it out.

Takver Mon 09-Feb-15 18:40:27

Does anyone remember 'The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler' from their childhood? Not an unpredictable ending, but definitely an unexpected twist (well, to 8 year old me, anyway grin )

Takver Mon 09-Feb-15 18:41:21

Oh, and Captain Corelli's Mandolin had an unpredicted ending. Shame it was unpredictable because it was (IMO) so utterly shit and out of character . . .

BrilliantineMortality Mon 09-Feb-15 18:43:44

Yy to The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tyler - there is a mner whose nickname gives away the twist!

Optimist1 Mon 09-Feb-15 18:44:22

Appletree Yard had an ending I didn't predict. A very good read!

(Thanks for starting this thread, OP - I'm bookmarking it for future reference.)

AnonymousBird Mon 09-Feb-15 20:05:40

The very last page of The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy. I actually gasped right out loud, and very loud.

Oh and Kevin too, absolutely first class finish.

simonettavespucci Mon 09-Feb-15 20:52:10

Had you read any Sarah Waters before remus? I think I would have been more likely to guess it, if I'd known her genre better. Mind you I often miss major plot points let alone forthcoming twists, so could be that too.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 09-Feb-15 20:54:57

Not a book but a movie, I thought The Others was particularly twisty. In a good way.

Clawdy Thu 12-Feb-15 20:29:43

The Burning Air by Erin Kelly...I always think I can spot a twist but not this one!

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Fri 13-Feb-15 13:46:33

Behind the scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson. I really couldn't have predicted the ending but a friend, with similar reading tastes, didn't enjoy it at all because she said it was obvious from the beginning.

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Fri 13-Feb-15 13:54:28

And of course, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Never forget the surprise at that ending.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: