Talk

Advanced search

What's the scariest book you've read?

(160 Posts)
imaginative Fri 23-Jan-15 09:51:16

My two are 'the woman in Black' by Susan Hill - sooo creepy, and much more recently, and probably frightened me a bit more - 'What Laura Saw' by Sarah King. This one has a couple of really great twists and a very sympathetic lead character.

So which books scared you the most? I am looking for another one to read alongside 'The State We're In'. I like to have a couple of books on the go depending on my mood. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
imaginative Fri 23-Jan-15 09:53:15

And while we're at it, can you recommend your scariest movie?

roughtyping Fri 23-Jan-15 10:06:52

The one that scared me the most was The Stand by Stephen King. I never finished it, I got about halfway through. I couldn't sleep, and when I did I kept having nightmares - made DH stay awake until I was asleep blush and I normally love dystopian stuff!

imaginative Fri 23-Jan-15 10:33:19

I have read most of Stephen King's books, but never got around to reading 'The Stand'. I found 'The Shining' the scariest, and 'The Dead Zone'. I think I will add 'The Stand' to my wish list. Though actually, I think that we have it somewhere in paperback as my husband has read all of them.

theconstantvacuumer Fri 23-Jan-15 13:25:12

Agree with The Woman in Black. Also Naomi's Room and Salems Lot.

curlyclaz13 Fri 23-Jan-15 13:28:31

Peter James, Prophecy. So scary/good I e-mailed the author in a fan girl moment.

Sallystyle Fri 23-Jan-15 14:28:59

The Stand is my favourite book ever. I did not think it was at all scary though.

Salems Lot for me too.

petitdonkey Fri 23-Jan-15 14:31:47

I read 'Flowers in the Attic' as a teenager, all of them. I have never picked up a scary book since!

loudarts Fri 23-Jan-15 14:34:23

The rats, by James Herbert. Still gives me nightmares, especially with all the giant rats that were in the news last year. Scariest movie will always be Halloween (the original not crappy remake)

jeee Fri 23-Jan-15 14:35:50

Empty World, John Christopher.

I think you're more like to be terrified by a book you read as a child.

LeonardoAcropolis Fri 23-Jan-15 14:36:47

Haunted by James Herbert is terrifying. Also Stephen King's The Shining, Bag of Bones and Misery. I didn't find The Stand scary at all.

isitsnowingyet Fri 23-Jan-15 14:40:10

I enjoyed the Stand - and found it quite creepy, but by far the scariest book I've read was Dracula by Bram Stoker - couldn't sleep for a full 3 weeks after that grin

TheEagle Fri 23-Jan-15 14:41:00

Bag of Bones by Stephen King - utterly terrifying!

I was too chicken to read The Woman In Black so I listened to the audiobook instead. Still scared the bejesus out of me shock

Another creepy book is Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

MonstersBalls Fri 23-Jan-15 14:41:07

'It' by Stephen King

Everything down here floats,' that chuckling, rotten voice whispered

shock

UnicornsPooFairyLights Fri 23-Jan-15 14:42:57

Another vote for James Herbert - the rats trilogy
It has that horrible 'could happen' feel to it!

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 23-Jan-15 14:45:21

Scariest book -The Road
Scariest film -Blair witch project.

Cocolepew Fri 23-Jan-15 14:49:57

One of Mo Hayders early books, I can't remember which one but it was the first or second one <helpful> IIRC there was large man and hiding involved <even more helpful>

I've read all ofStephen Kings but can't say any of them actually scared me the way this one did.

originalusernamefail Fri 23-Jan-15 14:53:10

IT by Stephen King. Read it on my first holiday to Crete with my mates in sixth form- THEN had to sleep next to a dripping, gurgling tap in the apartments kitchenette ! shock

Damn near pee'd myself that night!

cosmicglittergirl Fri 23-Jan-15 14:56:53

Books:
Dark Matter by Michelle Paver, so creepy.
Pet Cemetary by Stephen King.

Films:
I'm a massive wuss with scary films so generally avoid, but It gave me nightmares.

Providore Fri 23-Jan-15 15:08:18

Tokyo by Mo Hayder. Fuck me! Terrifying!

imaginative Fri 23-Jan-15 18:19:49

Thank you! So pleased I started this thread. So many to choose from now. Much better buying books through others' recommendations than relying on the blurb on the sales page and being frequently disappointed. smile

thelittlebooktroll Fri 23-Jan-15 18:23:34

The Woman in Black. Still scared when I think of it.

captainfarrell Fri 23-Jan-15 18:25:27

Your'e Next by Greg Hurwitz

snozzlemaid Fri 23-Jan-15 18:25:42

Probably Mo Hayder for me too. Either Birdman or The Treatment. Both disturbingly brilliant.

DrSeuss Fri 23-Jan-15 18:26:10

Anything by Gina Ford!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in