Talk

Advanced search

Best book/s you have read recently and would recommend?

(8 Posts)
AWholeLottaNosy Thu 15-Jan-15 20:10:10

I love reading in the long winter evenings so would like to recommend some books I've really enjoyed recently and would love to know some recent personal faves from others...

So I got this book for Xmas and really enjoyed it, 'Time and Time Again' by Ben Elton. Is basically about the question, if there was one event in history that had massive ( negative ) consequences, what would happen if you could go back in time and alter it? A real page turner as you are dying to know, do they achieve it and if so what happens as a result. Very clever and thought provoking.

The second book is by the same author, a book I'd been meaning to read for a while, 'Two Brothers'. It's about a Jewish family in Germany before the start of WW2. A family has twins, one of which is adopted ( from a non Jewish family), how they are treated by the rise of fascism and how as a family they cope with this. It really brings to life the period of that time, making you identify with it and the hardships and moral dilemmas people had to go through. Don't want to say more about the plot, but suffice to say, I read it in two days!

So those are my most recent recommendations, would love to hear yours ( and why)

Boysclothes Thu 15-Jan-15 21:08:53

I love Ben Elton, can't believe I've missed these books! Thanks!

Now for mine... "The house we grew up in" by Lisa Jewell. I'm not a chick lit reader really, and always thought of her as a chick lit writer, but a friend gave it to me....anyway, I was gripped. Totally not what I expected.

Also Toby litt's "Hospital". He's one of those writers you see in charity shops, in libraries, in magazine but I'd never actually read one of his books. It was brilliant! Bonkersly amazing and I did not put it down.

tripfiction Fri 16-Jan-15 21:07:22

I too liked the Ben Elton 2 Brothers. It never really hit the big time, which is a bit surprising.
Of similar ilk (for the period) is "Magda" by Meike Ziervogel www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-germany-destructive-motherdaughter-relationship/

And "Summertime" by Vaness Lafaye is just out and a rather good read www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-the-florida-keys-storm-coming/

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sat 17-Jan-15 20:28:11

I'm actually still reading it as my darling son is spending most nights/mornings awake and pestering me more than usual but The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber.

I largely read crime,psychological thrillers and some Stephen King but this intrigued me with some reviews I heard of it. So much so that I bought myself the hardback edition for Christmas (stunning dust jacket on it and lovely cover underneath too as an unexpected bonus!) instead of putting it on my Kindle.

It's different. The writing style is different to most things I read,it seems much more relaxed and simple yet has more depth in a sense,due to the issues it covers. I'm not quite sure what it is about it yet,as I'm not half way through yet (not fair!) but,even in its simplicity of writing,I hate having to put it down.

Check out the reviews on goodreadshttps ://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20697435-the-book-of-strange-new-things#

Tiredemma Sat 17-Jan-15 20:30:35

Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

Could not put it down.

Clawdy Mon 19-Jan-15 14:43:44

Aren't We Sisters? by Patricia Ferguson. So different,but gripping and moving,with characters I really liked for once.

waycat Mon 19-Jan-15 14:54:05

I'm just over half way through Hello From The Gillespies by Monica McInernery.

Even though I haven't yet finished it, I can highly recommend it. Parts are LOL funny, parts tear jerking, parts romantic - a great mix and very well written.

It's one of those books that I can't wait to pick up and read in the evening when the stress of the day is hopefully over!

agoodbook Mon 19-Jan-15 14:57:22

Diary Of an Ordinary Woman- Margaret Forster- she is one of my favourite authors - just about to start Isa and May by her - hope its a good as all her others

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: