Talk

Advanced search

book club suggestions

(17 Posts)
MrsKranky Mon 12-Jan-15 22:19:22

Its my turn to pick for our work book club next month, and I'm stuck for ideas. So far we've had:
Stardust - Neil Gaiman
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

The rules are no series eg Harry Potter, no 'war books' so All Quiet on the Western Front is out but books with war in are OK so Captain Correllis Manderlin would be fine.

The response to Stardust was poor, so I want to avoid anything that's been made into a film, as I was considering Fight Club, or Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, but have ruled them out on that basis.

I don't fancy anything too sad or emotional, but I quite like offbeat, quirky and/or unusual. My personal favorite authors at the moment are Douglas Adams, Douglas Copeland, chuck palahniuk, but don't want to end up too unusual either...

Any and all suggestions welcome!!!

OP’s posts: |
ozymandiusking Mon 12-Jan-15 22:40:22

Seven years in Tibet is a fabulous book.

tripfiction Thu 15-Jan-15 15:33:02

Us by David Nicholls is a rounded read. There is travel and the dynamics of one family on a grand tour of Europe - and there is plenty of material for discussion = like/don't like.

Summertime by Vanessa Lafaye is just out, not too long and is a pretty good read and charts an interesting period of USA history that I had never heard of www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-the-florida-keys-storm-coming/

Hope that helps!!

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 15-Jan-15 16:09:43

Ruth Odeki (I think) wrote A tale for the time being. That's brilliant.

Or Burial Rites, We are all completely beside ourselves, Don't ask me why.

They are all ones the fit that criteria too.

MrsKranky Thu 15-Jan-15 23:16:20

Great! Thanks all, they all are great food for thought and a starting point! I love reading and have enjoyed book club, even the ones I didn't enjoy as its nice to be able to chat about it. I didn't expect choosing to be so hard!

blueberry2310 Fri 16-Jan-15 12:26:54

I just came on here to post the same question. My short list is:
The signature of all things
Americanah
The first 15 lives of Harry August.

MargoReadbetter Sun 18-Jan-15 07:46:07

Are you still looking for suggestions?
The Rosie Project
the assasination of margaret thatcher
how to build a girl
The paying guests

these are all new-ish and short

Iggly Sun 18-Jan-15 07:50:48

The scheme for full employment by magnus mills is good.

So is English passengers by matthew kneale.

flora717 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:56:04

Elizabeth is Missing is about a woman with Dementia solving a mystery. Short, enjoyable.

MrsKranky Sun 18-Jan-15 22:12:27

I am still look at suggestions, I'm going to find some time to take a look at all of these, and l probably end up reading some anyway, as they all sound really interesting.

poorbuthappy Sun 18-Jan-15 22:13:36

2nd First 15 lives of Harry August

jellycake Sun 18-Jan-15 22:15:39

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - a fabulous book smile

Clawdy Mon 19-Jan-15 14:46:35

Jamrach's Menagerie - Carol Birch
Aren't We Sisters? Patricia Ferguson

GetHappy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:45:14

Elizabeth is missing easy read

crapfatbanana Wed 21-Jan-15 20:55:24

The last book my group all unanimously enjoyed was All The Birds Singing by Evie Wyld.

Kinraddie Fri 30-Jan-15 12:37:50

Don't choose Burial Rites, it's the grimmest, most depressing book I've read in years. Would second The Rosie Project, or Elizabeth is Missing.

Takver Fri 30-Jan-15 18:58:29

The City and The City by China Mieville - definitely offbeat and unusual, and I think would have plenty to talk about too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in