Advanced search

Adult urban fantasy - what next after Paul Cornell and Ben Aaronovitch?

(20 Posts)
ClockwiseCat Mon 12-Jan-15 20:43:47

Have read London's Falling and Severed Sister by Paul Cornell and working my way through the Rivers of London series. Enjoyed / enjoying both in different ways but has anyone got any ideas for what to read next?

cdtaylornats Mon 12-Jan-15 22:27:38

Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher or the Nightingale series by Simon R. Green.

Similar settings to Rivers of London although the Nightingale ones are closer in style.

ClockwiseCat Mon 12-Jan-15 23:27:28

Thanks smile I read the Dresden ones years ago - had forgotten all about them! I will definitely look out for the Nightingale series - not the same Nightingale that Ben Aaronovitch writes about is it? wink

ClockwiseCat Mon 12-Jan-15 23:28:22

I should say as well that they don't have to be crime but I'm not into romance books or wildly out there fantasy so definitely looking for urban or near world fantasy.

Takver Tue 13-Jan-15 09:57:00

The City and the City by China Mieville, one of the best books I've read in ages (I haven't enjoyed his others so much though)

TabbyM Tue 13-Jan-15 16:50:46

Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series, starting with Fated, now like them more than Harry Dresden as I can't keep track over so many people.

TurboTheChicken Tue 13-Jan-15 17:41:55

Have you read any Christopher Fowler?

weebarra Tue 13-Jan-15 17:43:07

Yes to Benedict Jacka!

Takver Tue 13-Jan-15 17:55:39

A couple of old ones, which you've probably read, but worth looking at if not - Intervention by Julian May (personally I much prefer this to the more straight-up fantasy of the Pliocene set books), and also the Amber books by Roger Zelazny (maybe too swords-and-sorcery though, but Corwin is a great hero)

crispsarenotoneofyour5aday Tue 13-Jan-15 18:18:57

I enjoyed Rivers of London and am now reading Jon Rosenberg's Hidden Academy series. Absolutely LOVE Jasper Fforde - if Swindon counts as urban!

munchkinmaster Tue 13-Jan-15 18:24:56

What a geeky thread!

<loved Paul Cornell books but Thursday next totally jumped the shark......>

fuzzpig Tue 13-Jan-15 18:31:27

I was going to recommend Jacka too! DH loves them and the Aaronovitch series.

Will be noting down the other names, thanks grin

Tanaqui Tue 13-Jan-15 18:45:30

Oh I love zelazny.

Liked the idea of rivers of London but it didn't quite click for me.

Have you read Gaiman's American Gods?

WhenMarnieWasThere Tue 13-Jan-15 18:52:46

The Ilona Andrews Magic Bites/Burns/Bleeds etc books are cracking good reads.

Magic, vampires, shapeshifters etc but with a different take on it to the usual. I love them.

ClockwiseCat Tue 13-Jan-15 21:21:13

Brilliant coming back to this thread and finding so many answers. Thanks!

<browses books>
<looks at bank statement>
<fecks it and buys them anyway> grin

munchkinmaster Wed 14-Jan-15 18:39:37

Totally boycotting gaiman since he sold those peoples souls to the devil

<took geeky ness too far>

ClockwiseCat Wed 14-Jan-15 20:58:45

Yes, I'm dying to ask what the Paul Cornell fans made of the whole Neil Gaiman thing. I found it a bit weird and obsequious if I'm honest. I'd rather that he had a) used a less famous author or b) made up an author!

ClockwiseCat Wed 14-Jan-15 20:59:08

Being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers!

Tanukisan Thu 15-Jan-15 20:25:35

Ooh, Charles Stross' Laundry series would be right up your street, I think!

mimiasovitch Fri 16-Jan-15 22:07:15

I love all of the above, plus The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearn, and The Hellequin books by Steve McHugh. Ooooh, The Felix Castor novels are good too (quick google of author), by Mike Carey. Off to look up Charles Stross now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now