Talk

Advanced search

any books about village life?

(31 Posts)
lemisscared Sat 03-Jan-15 22:24:01

any recommendations? have read some rebecca shaw but actually they are pretty poorly written. happy to pick up in charity shops but full price on kindle? no thanks

i like the idea of books about naice villages. nothing sad though.

not that im fussy or anything

PigeonPie Sat 03-Jan-15 22:28:55

The Thrush Green books by Miss Read are lovely and gentle and all about village life. Possibly quite dated now (haven't read them for years), but I enjoyed them.

OverAndAbove Sat 03-Jan-15 22:38:51

The Agatha Raisin books b MC Beaton are quite good on village life (but with murders) Also Agatha Christie, and of course Jilly Cooper!

lemisscared Sat 03-Jan-15 22:46:48

lol not sure im ready for jilly cooper smile murders are good

KatieKaye Sat 03-Jan-15 22:50:51

The Aunt Dimity books are lovely: www.aunt-dimity.com/aunt-dimitys-death.html

meandjulio Sat 03-Jan-15 22:53:55

Welcome to the Burracombe series by Lilian Harry... I inhale them like crack... all set in a postwar idyll. The Bells of Burracombe is the first.

500internalerror Sat 03-Jan-15 22:56:08

The jack Sheffield teacher series?

PigeonPie Sat 03-Jan-15 22:56:22

The Ngaio Marsh books aren't really about villages, but they're of their time. They're mystery / crime books which start in the 1930s and go on through the War and into the 50s. I'm loving reading them at the moment.

agoodbook Sat 03-Jan-15 22:56:27

If you don't mind American books, I enjoyed jan Karon's series about Mitford

lemisscared Sat 03-Jan-15 22:58:16

lots of recommendations. thanks.

BestIsWest Sat 03-Jan-15 22:59:45

I used to love Miss Read too. And I was going to say Jilly too. Joanna Trollope wrote some village ones too. Mapp and Lucia? Beverley Nicholls?

There's another author I'm trying to remember. Will have to google.

MrsCurrent Sat 03-Jan-15 23:03:42

I love Trisha Ashley, all northern villages, often with a brooding, gruff love interest, corny maybe but I can't wait for the next one.

lemisscared Sat 03-Jan-15 23:09:27

oooh forgot about joanna trollop. read those in my teens grin

tripfiction Sun 04-Jan-15 20:18:08

It depends how 'quaint' you want your read. One I read recently was village life amongst the toffs in Bucks "The Deaths" by Mark Lawson www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-england-beau-monde-buckinghamshire/ Interesting, funny, readable, in the main, for the clever and astute prose, but can be over clever at times.

hooker29 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:46:11

I love Agatha Raisin! Easy to read and follow,and don't waffle on for pages and pages.

lemisscared Mon 05-Jan-15 20:44:24

i downloaded "agatha raisin" the other night.i think im going to like her! she reminds me somehow of "vera" and is the antithesis of that rather irritating isabel dalhousie woman (how smug is she??)

KatieKaye Mon 05-Jan-15 20:56:57

Another Agatha fan here!
(was sadly disappointed in the tv version though - "my" Agatha is brown haired and a good deal of a batteaxe, not a glamour-puss!)

lemisscared Mon 05-Jan-15 21:43:20

it was on the telly?

DuchessofMalfi Mon 05-Jan-15 21:53:07

Was on Sky 1 just after Christmas - Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death. Not great drama/acting but passed a couple of hours quite pleasantly.

SandraWood Tue 13-Jan-15 10:46:46

Try Louis de Bernières' Notwithstanding - it's a short story collection, and they all take place in an idyllic English village. Also, South of the Lights by Angela Huth is at times sad, but overall, very calm, and often very funny.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 13-Jan-15 11:24:31

Mrs Fytton's Country Life - read that ages ago and remember it being funny.

Obviously there's the standard Cranford, Emma etc.

The Flavia de Luce series is about a girl solving mysteries in a village in the 50s, lost of vicars and bicycling etc.

RabbitsarenotHares Tue 13-Jan-15 12:57:12

I enjoy the Lucy Dillon books. She's not written many, but a few of them are set in the same village, focussing on different people each time but you do get cross-overs which I like.

Chick-lit, but not as silly as some.

5Foot5 Thu 15-Jan-15 13:45:32

PigeonPie and BestisWest I have just finished re-reading my Miss Read trilogy - lovely stuff. Never really could get in to Thrush Green as much as Fairacre though.

ElephansAndMiasmas I tend to think of the Mrs Fytton book more as a rather splendid revenge on the ExH than a chronicle of country life!

MrsCurrent Glad there is another Trisha Ashley fan. I keep meaning to draw some kind connections map to show all the liks between the various villages (Middlemoss etc) and the characters involved. I love Trisha World. Do you follow Skint Old Northern Woman by any chance?

tiredvommachine Thu 15-Jan-15 13:47:45

Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee is a superb read. You really must!

BestIsWest Thu 15-Jan-15 14:35:09

I loved Mrs Fytton's Country Life. Due a re read of that I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: