Talk

Advanced search

Distracting reads

(3 Posts)
tobee Sun 28-Dec-14 23:49:35

Having only recently come across this talk section (ie adult fiction) I've been highly impressed by the help people have given. Sooo, I'm in need of suggestions of nice distracting reads at the mo. Recent things that have hit the spot for me as distraction rather than of great literary merit have been This Boy, The Unmarried Mother, Ruby Waxs autobiography, Love Nina. So I'm not very high brow even when I'm not needing distraction and not really into fantasy/sci fi, just an easy page turner that while involve me. Thanks in advance. PS if I can Dow,old it iBooks or kindle that would be fantastic.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 29-Dec-14 08:54:47

Have you read any books by David Sedaris? I love his sense of humour - try Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, and Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty is a good page-turner. Loved the story.
Mad About The Boy (Bridget Jones pt3) by Helen Fielding
Alys, Always by Harriet Lane
Heartbreak Hotel - Deborah Moggach
Gillespie & I - Jane Harris
Gentlemen & Players - Joanne Harris
Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series - starts with The Various Haunts of Men
S J Parris's Giordano Bruno series - starts with Heresy

You say you don't like fantasy, but you might still like Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London (the Peter Grant series). I don't like fantasy novels either, but love these.

Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalets series - starts with The Light Years
Smut by Alan Bennett (in very mischievious mode)
Man At The Helm by Nina Stibbe
Have you tried M C Beaton's Agatha Raisin series? Starts with Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death.

Hope there's something there that might appeal?

tobee Mon 29-Dec-14 15:19:01

Ooh thanks! Will check 'em out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now