Talk

Advanced search

January Modern Classic: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

(67 Posts)
mmack Sun 21-Dec-14 15:04:57

Just starting the thread so that we can sign in.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 21-Dec-14 15:07:16

I enjoyed it, if 'enjoyed' is the right word. It's a v good blend of horrible violence and some exquisite prose.

BestIsWest Sun 21-Dec-14 20:44:38

I read it earlier this year. Very good. Reminded me very much of something else which escapes me now (pointless point there).

mmack Sun 21-Dec-14 22:44:15

I just realised that this thread makes no sense if you don't know it's a follow-on from another thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/2252584-Would-anyone-like-to-join-me-in-a-modern-classics-challenge-for-2015

mmack Sat 27-Dec-14 19:40:47

Bumping. Has anyone started reading it yet?

EvenFlo Sat 27-Dec-14 19:55:39

Not yet as I have Shantaram to finish but will get cracking soon as that is done!

ClashCityRocker Sun 28-Dec-14 09:00:01

I have a book to finish first, but am hoping to start soon!

BestIsWest Sun 28-Dec-14 14:07:37

I've remembered what it reminded me of or, should I say, what reminded me of it. I won't say though as I'm interested to see whether anyone else makes the same comparison.

Cherrypi Sun 28-Dec-14 17:53:27

Just ordered a copy from the library.

IsawJimmykissingSantaClaus Mon 29-Dec-14 15:28:12

If you have Netflix the film 'Capote' is on there and it's amazing. Well worth a watch after you have read the book. It follows Capote as he writes In Cold Blood.

Cherrypi Fri 02-Jan-15 17:43:46

Right just collected library copy. Let's go.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Fri 02-Jan-15 17:54:50

sadWaiting for mine to arrive.

Perhaps everyone could join hands and send positive vibes to my mailbox?

OneStepCloser Fri 02-Jan-15 18:08:09

I`ll lurk and join in this thread as it moves along if you dont mind, I read this about 10 years ago whilst I was in the US, it left a major impression on me and will be interested to see what other people think.

ClashCityRocker Sat 03-Jan-15 18:45:26

I've finished it - had an unexpected day off!

I was, at first a little daunted at it being a 'true crime' novel. It's not a genre I have read much of, nor one I would be drawn to.

Having said that, it was an engaging read and being able to google details of the actual case added another dimension.

Turning to the book itself, Capote does a very good job of painting an (idealized?) picture of small-town American life in contrast to the counter-culture of the antagonists. I enjoyed the scene-setting in the earlier chapters and Capote's writing style.

I'm reluctant to go further, but have a few observations and thoughts for when everyone's finished the book.

Enormouse Sat 03-Jan-15 18:55:07

Marking place. I'm a big true crime fan so I'm looking forward to reading it.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Sat 03-Jan-15 19:00:38

Thunderbirds are go!

Starting now.

HumpsLumps Sat 03-Jan-15 19:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sooperdooper Sun 04-Jan-15 11:39:31

I read this a little while ago, interested to hear other peoples views, I hadn't read a true crime novel in this kind of format before

TheWordFactory Mon 05-Jan-15 17:22:13

I have read this several times for work.

I wonder if anyone reading this has also listened to The Serial on This American Life?

Have you noticed any parallels in the narratives structure? Style?

nicknamenonsense Tue 06-Jan-15 12:44:37

bought it yesterday and only managed about 20 or so pages as I was going out last night but was pulled in from the start, as Clash said true crime is not a genre I have ever been drawn to.
I'll update when I've read more!!

BumgrapesofWrath Wed 07-Jan-15 18:28:46

Will start this this week, so marking my place on the thread!

musicmaiden Thu 08-Jan-15 17:02:09

Read it last year for another book group - thought it was beautifully written. I concur about reading a bit about Truman life as he was writing this, and also watching Capote, as it's fascinating (Not to mention a masterclass in acting by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman). Will look forward to seeing what other people think of the book when they've had a chance to read it.

TheWordFactory Haven't listened to Serial but I wouldn't be surprised if it was influenced by this - it would be hard not to be.

TheWordFactory Thu 08-Jan-15 18:15:52

music I will watch that movie - thanks for that suggestion.

I would heartily urge anyone (everyone?) to listen to The Serial. It is utterly compelling.

And like ICB, is structured in a non linear fashion that allows different aspects of the crime to be examined seperately.

Also, the narration, like ICB, is a wonderful combination of in depth forensic examination of a legal case combined with coloquial, almost trashy asides, into human nature.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 08-Jan-15 23:43:28

I studied this book at college and found it fascinating. I thought it was really well told and was able to make you feel some sort of sympathy for (one at least) of the killers whilst not detracting from the hideousness of the murders.

RonaldMcDonald Thu 08-Jan-15 23:51:26

Loved this

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: