Talk

Advanced search

Henry Marsh, Do No Harm

(22 Posts)
kippersmum Sun 14-Dec-14 23:15:12

WOW!!!! I work in a bookshop & see loads of new stock. I got 20 pages in & bought it. It is brilliant. If you are looking for that hard to get for person, if they like non-fiction this is it. smile

gonegrey56 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:46:20

I know ! I thought it was a fantastic book and so admired his humility and honesty. Really recommend it . Powerful book .

hackmum Wed 17-Dec-14 20:09:40

I've read this too - wonderful book.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 22-Dec-14 08:49:38

Bought this for myself last week. Planning to read it shortly. Can't wait smile

fuctifino Mon 22-Dec-14 08:51:19

Yes, it opened my eyes to the life of a brain surgeon.
Good book.

Icapturethecastle Mon 22-Dec-14 08:53:38

Reading it for my book group soon. Looking forward to it.

Cornishblues Sat 03-Jan-15 21:59:01

Oh yes I'm nearing the end of it and wondering how on earth I'll follow it. Fascinating - the surgery case studies have you on the edge of your seat and in addition it's a fascinating insight into the job, the changing experience of working for the nhs, and the personality of Mr marsh himself. I'll be bereft at finishing it!

DuchessofMalfi Sun 04-Jan-15 18:01:06

Starting it this evening smile

marilynmonroe Sun 11-Jan-15 17:58:30

Amazing book. I've just finished it and already in my top 10 of all time. Edge of your seat stuff and made me cry a little. Loved it.

HarlotOTara Sun 11-Jan-15 18:02:24

Henry Marsh operated on my daughter when she had a tricky brain tumour at a very young age. His skill saved her life and he is my hero. He was very honest but with loads of compassion. I have his book.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 11-Jan-15 19:50:47

I finished reading it a couple of days ago. Absolutely amazing read, agree edge of seat stuff. And yes, it also made me cry a few times too. Must have made it all the more emotional for you Harlot.

TweenageAngst Sun 11-Jan-15 19:53:27

I worked with him in the early nineties. I have never seen a neurosurgeon who could communicate with children and families as well as he could. It is a good book.

HarlotOTara Mon 12-Jan-15 15:01:42

duchess it was a good read on many levels
Tweenage, I remember the nurses warning me he could be rather brutal in his approach but I saw it as being realistic about options and outcomes. I didn't find him to be brutal or odd at all, he was honest so I trusted him and he had compassion. I think his son had a brain tumour at a similar age to my dd. I don't know for certain but have always imagined that it was his son that made him become a neurosurgeon and his own experiences helped him to empathise. I have huge respect for him, he had (has) great humility and saved my dd's life. What more can you ask for?

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Jan-15 11:58:53

Yes, interesting book, but also full of repetitions. I would have appreciated slightly less navel-gazing and more examples/stories/experiences.

hackmum Tue 27-Jan-15 08:42:41

Impressed there are two people on here who know him. Fascinating man. Also interested to realise that he is married to the anthropologist Kate Fox (of Watching the English fame).

5dogsgoswimming Mon 09-Feb-15 09:46:20

Loved it!

Barbarella Thu 19-Feb-15 23:32:23

I've got this but haven't read it yet - oh I loved Watching the English too, keep meaning to re read that

pertempsnooo Thu 19-Feb-15 23:38:31

This book is fascinating to anyone interested in psychology/ psychiatry/ medicine/ the brain in general. I have passed my copy on already with plentiful praise.

claravine Sat 25-Apr-15 12:36:44

Excellent but absolutely gruelling in parts.

crapfatbanana Sun 14-Jun-15 21:40:29

Great book. I didn't realise until about halfway through that I had seen a documentary of his work in Ukraine.

hackmum Tue 16-Jun-15 09:35:07

HarlotoTara: " I remember the nurses warning me he could be rather brutal in his approach but I saw it as being realistic about options and outcomes."

I've recently read Atul Gawande's book Being Mortal - he's a US-based doctor, and he's very interesting on this subject. He says that doctors find it very hard to break bad news and tend to offer much more optimistic prognoses than are realistic. He talks about the need to be more honest - which it sounds as if Marsh is doing.

Serioussteve Tue 17-Nov-15 02:21:55

It's a great book, Atul Gawande's works are excellent also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now