Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Really properly trashy fantasy for Christmas reading?

(24 Posts)
Takver Wed 10-Dec-14 22:08:43

Inspire me people, I have some 'proper books' requested, now I want some suitably trash fantasy for the holidays, ideally with a handsome hero / love interest grin

Things I've liked in the past: Anne McCaffrey / Mercedes Lackey / Trudi Canavan / Marion Zimmer Bradley / Robin Hobb (but only the Dragon books, the others are too serious to hit the trash fantasy spot) / Roger Zelazny's Amber books / Julian May, you get the picture. Also like lots of YA fantasy - currently in love with the Mortal Instruments, enjoyed Hunger Games / Divergent / various others.

MegBusset Wed 10-Dec-14 22:11:56

Game of Thrones?

Takver Wed 10-Dec-14 22:14:08

Hmm, DH says no, too violent for my taste . . . could give it a go though as he has them anyway

iamEarthymama Wed 10-Dec-14 22:17:36

Ooh I want you to read Sheri Tepper but you might think they are too serious!

How about Terry Pratchett? Sam Vimes is gorgeous!

Or Eve Dallas and Rourke in the Death by series, they are set in the future.

And there is lots of, erm, "romance"!

Takver Wed 10-Dec-14 22:20:12

Not Terry Pratchett, I know it's a character flaw but I just can't deal with his writing style. Pretty sure I've read Sheri Tepper in the past, but will def check out Eve Dallas, sounds like it could be just the thing smile

iamEarthymama Wed 10-Dec-14 22:52:58

Sorry the author of the Death series is J D Robb aka Nora Roberts!
She's got some witchy books too.

I do like 'good'. Books, honestly but these are just the thing sometimes. smile

Takver Thu 11-Dec-14 08:12:47

That's it, good books are all very well, but sometimes something really funny & escapist is just what's needed when visiting the inlaws

Tanaqui Thu 11-Dec-14 08:17:08

Have you tried Sarah Rees Brennan in the ya section? She sometimes writes with Cassandra Clare but I think she is better.

Adult fantasy- try Sarah Monette's doctrine of labyrinths series if you can get hold of it, sounds right up your street! Also have you read vonda Macintyre?

And the amazingly funny and talented Diana Wynne Jones?

Takver Thu 11-Dec-14 08:20:07

DWJ sadly falls into the category of 'fantasy I could probably recite without the books' grin (Homeward Bounders especially)

Don't know the others, though, will check them out smile

ReluctantCamper Thu 11-Dec-14 08:34:34

Have just ordered the first J D robb book, looking forward to some trash for Xmas!

Have you read the Anita Blake vampire hunter books? The later ones are frankly bizarre, but the first three are ace, also with plenty of um, romance.

The trashiest fantasy I know is kushiel's dart. It's actually pretty well written, but has an inordinate amount of rumpy as the heroine is a submissive courtesan. Better than I have made it sound!

TheFirstOfHerName Thu 11-Dec-14 08:35:53

Throne of Glass (Sarah J Maas) fits the requirements perfectly.

Takver Thu 11-Dec-14 08:38:08

grin at ReluctantCamper - have you read the Parasol Protectorate? Lots of ripped werewolves who end up naked in the heroine's presence after transforming back . . .

ReluctantCamper Thu 11-Dec-14 08:42:21

I haven't takver, back to amazon! I've watched this thread as I'm going to work my way through the recommendations. Currently have a 3 month old baby, and trash fantasy is just the thing for staying awake during night feeds!

lucysnowe Thu 11-Dec-14 13:59:21

Robin McKinley should hit the spot. smile Beauty (rewriting of Beauty and the Beast, fairly basic but lovely writing and very indulgent), Sunshine (vampires and baking), The Hero and the Crown/The Blue Sword (girls and horses and fighting and derring do and cute heroes and dragons etc).

Takver Thu 11-Dec-14 16:21:51

This is great, should keep me going for ages smile Got a few ordered from the library, and in fact going to get the 1st Eve Dallas book for DH as an extra present as I think he'll really like it too.

Galaxymum Thu 11-Dec-14 23:02:10

Have you read the Fallen series by Lauren Kate? Fallen angels, curses and reincarnation. I love the series and was a complete fangirl when I met the author. Also interested in suggestions for authors.

Alieight Sun 14-Dec-14 14:24:08

have you read the Deed of Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon? I love them, and also love mccaffrey, lackey etc

dirtyprettything Mon 15-Dec-14 10:45:35

Any Robin Hobb should do the trick

ReluctantCamper Fri 19-Dec-14 14:02:42

Just finished soulless, the first parasol protectorate book and really enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation!

GreatJoanUmber Fri 19-Dec-14 14:07:06

Ok, here's something outside the box...

Have you tried fanfiction? Go to places like fanfiction.net or AO3, search for any book/film/whatever you like, and there are probably thousands of stories. Some are really good, others very poorly written, but all are entertaining!

Takver Sun 21-Dec-14 22:23:29

Just finished The Hero and The Crown, thank-you lucysnowe smile Enjoyed it, very much in the DWJ vein, nice light read.

GreatJoanUmber - dd is a fanfic obsessive, but I don't have tablet/kindle, so generally real books are better. (I love the Mortal Instruments books in a too-many-soft-centre-chocolates sort of way, and I've recently been reading a bit of CC's early fanfic when I'm out of trashy novels, though.)

Glad you enjoyed Soulless, ReluctantCamper!

CatIshoo Mon 22-Dec-14 23:07:07

Have you read the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn? I have a reread every couple of m years and they are like a comfy jumper. There are two sets of trilogies.

I'd advice you not to read her Exiles series because she has written two out of a trilogy but not the last one (it's been about 20 years)

SummerLightning Mon 22-Dec-14 23:16:40

Have you read Patrick rothfuss name of the wind? Its not really trashy but is very easy to read, I couldn't put it down. Getting the 2nd one for Xmas can't wait! It does have a handsome swashbuckling hero with a love interest too.

ReluctantCamper Tue 23-Dec-14 11:09:50

Just read the first j d robb book. Blimey, you can tell that was written 20 years ago- roarke is a proper twat, and he smokes shock!

Loved eve Dallas though, and have got another one out of the library.

Not fantasy, but extremely easy reading and quite gripping, the Myron Bolitar novels by Harlan Coben are really worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now