Talk

Advanced search

Books for teenage girls

(7 Posts)
hackmum Mon 08-Dec-14 19:08:25

DD (15) isn't a big reader. Actually, she doesn't read at all, though she used to when she was little.

I live in hope, though, and I'd like to rekindle her interest. So as well as buying her the usual makeup, jewellery, DVDs etc for Christmas, I'd like to buy her a book or two - nice, accessible stuff that doesn't demand too much concentration but will get her back into reading. Something like a teenage equivalent of Jacqueline Wilson, which she used to love.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of maybe Judy Blume, though I haven't read any, and don't know which one would be best. Any other suggestions also welcome.

Takver Mon 08-Dec-14 19:11:55

Would she like fantasy? The Mortal Instruments series is very easy reading and fun (talking from my own POV, but dd also likes them). Set in New York, lots of sassy teenagers & cool clothes/clubs etc

hackmum Tue 09-Dec-14 08:40:10

Thanks, Takver, she might do. Those look like fun. She liked The Hunger Games trilogy - the last books she read, really (apart from ones she's had to read for school).

hawthornknitter Wed 10-Dec-14 23:48:44

The John Green books are good - Fault in our Stars is big at the moment, I also liked Paper Towns.

Tsoukalosy Wed 10-Dec-14 23:53:22

Louise Rennison Georgia Nicholson diaries are brilliant and so easy to read aimed at girls age 13 to 18 i think

Merrylegs Wed 10-Dec-14 23:57:26

Divergent if she liked THG.
Inside My Head if she wants an easy but older JW type book. Or Ketchup Clouds.

hackmum Thu 11-Dec-14 19:13:11

Thanks for these. I think she's already read Divergent (or some of it!) I've also bought a book of three short stories, each one by a different writer, one of whom is John Green - she has read The Fault in Our Stars, one of the very few books she's read this year!

I"ll give the others a go too, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now