Talk

Advanced search

revival by Stephen King - what was i thinking??

(14 Posts)
lemisscared Sat 29-Nov-14 20:28:25

Just started this but had forgotten how horrible his books are. Chapter 3 about the accident was awful - should i stop now??

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 29-Nov-14 20:31:42

No, that's about the only bit that's written in his 'old' style. The rest is average. Not unreadable, but disjointed and trading on his past excellence and reputation for sales. A Doctor Sleep, not a Pet Sematary.

lemisscared Sat 29-Nov-14 20:35:58

Not read doctor sleep. Not read sk for years and years. Pet semetary haunted me for a long time. So, no more upsetting stuff?

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 29-Nov-14 20:40:56

It depends on how you view 'upsetting'. Too me it started off promising, but quickly tailed off. I got bored. I hate being bored by SK! grin

There are some bits that I found creepy, but not in a supernatural way. The relationship stuff later on is cringeworthy and the seedy fantasy of a sad old man.

I was really, horribly disappointed.

Disagree re the relationship stuff though - the woman was absolutely in control.

lemisscared Sat 29-Nov-14 20:55:54

Maybe ill persevere. Is there still the apocalyptic ending? Not his greatest skill , endings

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 29-Nov-14 20:55:56

He is past his best, but I doubt he cares about that.

<riffles disconsolately through The Bachman Books>

One of his worst endings ever, I'm afraid. sad

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 29-Nov-14 21:00:54

All the 'Starter Shag' stuff, Remus? I thought it was very unlikely and clashingly seedy, but he's never been good with writing about sex. Now he's downright pervy.

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 29-Nov-14 21:01:29

So, Lem, are we selling it to you at all? grin

I thought the sex here was far less cringe-worthy than in, for example, Needful Things (Gods, I loathe that book).

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 29-Nov-14 21:05:41

Ewww, yes, that was particularly grim. Not quite as bad as basing a whole novel on a privileged white male's take on abuse (I'm looking at you, Rose Madder and Gerard's Game), but phoning it in all the same.

lemisscared Sun 30-Nov-14 09:29:44

Um not really no! But i paid £5.99 for the bastard book so will keep going and waste my time as well as my money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now