Talk

Advanced search

book ideas for DH please - maybe one for the Dads on MN

(10 Posts)
cowbiscuits74 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:27:49

My DH and I always give each other a book for Christmas and Birthdays.
We have had some surprise hits and a couple duds over the years on both sides but it is fun.

We rarely read the same type of books. The only ones I can think of that we have both read are the Ken Follet Pillars of the Earth trilogy and Neil Gaiman (Graveyard Book, Ocean at The End of the Lane).

He has exhausted the Wilbur Smith/Dan Brown/Ian Rankin type ones which is what he typically buys himself so looking for inspiration and to push him slightly out of his formulaic comfort zone.

Nothing too highbrow or taxing (usually falls asleep after a few pages so needs to be easy to pick up and put down)

Any ideas?
Tnx

iseenodust Thu 27-Nov-14 21:33:50

Conn Iggulden's War of the roses series or DH would say any of his series.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 28-Nov-14 04:11:24

If he likes Ian rankin, what abut Jo nesbo?
Dh also enjoyed the enemy series by Charlie higson- written for young adults.

5446 Fri 28-Nov-14 04:33:59

I've just bought I Am Pilgrim for my DDad. I read it earlier this year and loved it.

DDad (and myself) also devour anything by Jo Nesbo, Kristina Ohlsson - anything Scandi crime really. Easy to pick up and put down.

DP doesn't really read but I have bought him a couple of non-fiction this year, if that would interest your DH. One is a book on World Order as he is really into politics.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 28-Nov-14 15:29:42

He may have already read these some of these, but have a look on Amazon for books by

Dale Brown (ex US Special forces)
Michael Ridpath (Crime in Iceland)
Lee Child
C J Box (A crime fighting mountain ranger - my DP loved these)
David Baldacci (ex marine?)
Harlan Coben
Stephen Booth (Crime in rural Derbyshire)
Peter James (Crime in Brighton)
Peter May (Crime in the Hebrides)

slug Fri 28-Nov-14 15:38:29

Non-Fiction:
Agent Zig Zag
Stasiland

Fiction:
Have you thought about the Game of Thrones series?
Rivers of London There's a whole series of these so if he likes it you have more to choose from for further gifting opportunities

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 28-Nov-14 15:43:43

Try him on Nelson Demille's John Corey series

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=john+corey+series&sprefix=john+corey%2Cstripbooks%2C328

Best read in sequence, starting with Plum Island, but not essential

CMOTDibbler Fri 28-Nov-14 15:53:30

The Rivers of London books are fabulous - easy to read, engaging characters, but enough depth to make you think if you are so inclined

twostepsister Sat 29-Nov-14 13:37:20

David Nicholls - Us
Stephen Fry - More fool me
Lee Child - Jack Reacher series
Terry Hayes - I am Pilgrim
Nathan Filer - Shock of the fall

cowbiscuits74 Mon 01-Dec-14 19:54:42

thanks all, love the idea of a series, will keep him in presents for years ha!
I think overall Rivers of London will appeal the most and I might get I Am Pilgrim for myself and then lend it to him
cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now