Talk

Advanced search

Tana French-The Secret Place

(4 Posts)
mmack Thu 27-Nov-14 18:23:28

Has anyone else read The Secret Place? It is a sequel to Faithful Place-Frank Mackey's daughter Holly is one of the main characters. I'm just frustrated with it because I loved Faithful Place but this one was just didn't ring true at all. I liked the two detective characters but just couldn't care at all about the teenage girls. She is such an unpredictable writer. In the Woods was brilliant but the The Likeness didn't grab me at all.

Anilec Fri 28-Nov-14 20:31:31

I liked it but I agree it's not one of her strongest. I did find the counting down to the crime was both effective and also slightly annoying (rather repetitive). And what was with the witchcraft? I really wanted that to be explored a bit further.
She's a brilliant writer though. I thought Broken Harbour was a magnificent read.

mmack Fri 28-Nov-14 23:26:13

I didn't see the point of the witchcraft bits at all. And the cliché of good girls vs. bitchy girls didn't really convince me. And I don't think any group of teenagers can keep a secret for even 5 minutes. I hope she writes another with the same detectives though. I liked Broken Harbour too. It was so sad.

IsabelleAdjani Sun 30-Nov-14 14:28:10

I have liked all her novels apart from The Likeness and the Secret Place which had rave advance reviews so was looking forward to it and was so disappointed - just found it so dull! The teenage girls were so irritating and really didn't ring true, any of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now