Talk

Advanced search

Books to educate a teenager

(13 Posts)
wigglybeezer Mon 24-Nov-14 09:32:04

Ds1 has left school prematurely, he will be going back to college to do some more exams next summer, including higher English.

He is a rather reluctant reader although English was his best exam pass last year. His general and cultural knowledge is distinctly lacking and I am planning on encouraging him to read a few books to broaden his horizons beyond the set texts he has studied at school.

Any suggestions for modern classics to appeal to 16 year old boys? I liked Jane Austen and Thomas Hardy at that age so have never read the likes of Catch 22 ( maybe I need to broaden my horizons too!).

BakewellSlice Mon 24-Nov-14 09:40:07

My son's favourite book has been All Quiet on the Western Front - he was already interested in modern history though. I read it too and found the language accessible and it's a very thought provoking book.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 24-Nov-14 09:44:40

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Catcher in the Rye
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Clockwork Orange

wigglybeezer Mon 24-Nov-14 10:06:59

I had forgotten about All quiet on the Western Front.

I loved catcher in the Rye but DS is more into action than angst ( rugby player!).

I also want to find some classic films to watch, I have a six month window to de- philistine him without putting him off. I think the prevailing you tube culture means some kids never read or watch the whole of anything, I read and watched a very eclectic mix due to boredom and having to make do with what was available or ferreting stuff out.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 24-Nov-14 10:11:36

oooh how about Papillon by Henri Charriere - the book?

iseenodust Mon 24-Nov-14 10:48:47

The Green Mile
The Kite Runner
Snow Falling on Cedars
Dracula
White Fang
The Secret Footballer (insider view written anonymously by premier league player)

wigglybeezer Mon 24-Nov-14 17:53:18

Thanks all, as i thought you would, you have come up with some I had not thought of.

twentyten Mon 24-Nov-14 18:03:25

Shaws hank redemption?
The mission?

skolastica Mon 24-Nov-14 18:45:33

The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay (boxing, South Africa) very powerful and readable
The Silver Darlings - Neil Gunn (herring fishery,boats)
Cider with Rosie - Laurie Lee and the follow up
John Wyndham
The Kno Tiki Expedition - Thor Heyerdahl
Tim Severin - the Brendan Voyage

Campaspe Mon 24-Nov-14 18:52:14

Anything by George Orwell.

Portrait of Dorian Gray - lots of pop culture references to this that you can really only understand if you've read the book.

The Liverpool or Beat poets.

Some Bill Bryson - very readable but gets a lot of knowledge into his books.

BakewellSlice Mon 24-Nov-14 21:42:53

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick is an unforgettable non-fiction book. It contains eyewitness accounts of North Koreans who have made it to the South.

Agggghast Tue 25-Nov-14 18:16:02

Red Badge of Courage
War of the Worlds
Any Conan Doyle
Touching the Void
Passage to Africa, a fascinating account of being a war reporter
Fever Pitch

spidey66 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:24:03

I'd recommend any of khaled hosseini's books, especially A Thousand Splendid Suns. I learnt so much from it about life under the Taliban, especially for women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now