Talk

Advanced search

Books set in Iran

(19 Posts)
IsabellaofFrance Sun 23-Nov-14 19:57:21

After reading Blood of Flowers, which was fabulous, I would love to read some more booked based in Iran. Either modern day or preferably historical?

Does anyone know of any? smile

PixieofCatan Mon 24-Nov-14 13:37:06

Sorry OP, marking my place smile

The most obvious one I can think of is Persepolis, it's a graphic novel though.

FelixTitling Mon 24-Nov-14 13:44:12

good reads

MrsSquirrel Mon 24-Nov-14 14:14:57

ink{http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/feb/12/best-books-iran-start-reading-here\www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/feb/12/best-books-iran-start-reading-her]]e}

MrsSquirrel Mon 24-Nov-14 14:16:06

Sorry, link fail The best books on Iran: start your reading here

tripfiction Mon 24-Nov-14 18:37:38

Such an interesting and diverse country, not many of us will visit, I guess. These are the books that we have found: www.tripfiction.com/find-a-book/?location=Iran&reset=1 Hope you find something you like...

colafrosties Mon 24-Nov-14 21:52:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BabCNesbitt Thu 27-Nov-14 23:26:15

Not a novel, although it reads like one, but Reading Lolita in Tehran gave me a decent sense of what it might have been like to be a woman in Iran after the revolution. It's about an illicit book group, and there's a lot of discussion of the books they were reading, but in the context of their lives.

velourvoyageur Tue 02-Dec-14 12:18:18

Reading Lolita was good yeah

Only other one I can think of is Not Without My Daughter :-/
it's a film with Sally Field and Alfred Molina in too

Kewrious Tue 02-Dec-14 12:20:46

For non fiction material I would recommend Azadeh Moaveni and her work. Persepolis is wonderful as are Marjane Satrapi's other works.

muminboots Tue 02-Dec-14 12:24:20

Right now I'm reading Whirlwind by James Clavell, set in Iran during the revolution in 1979. It's great (I love Clavell novels) but I'm only on page 150 of 1230!!

fatpony Tue 02-Dec-14 12:24:42

Isn't Not without my daughter about Saidi Arabia?

The blindfold horse is set in Iran...

Takver Wed 03-Dec-14 16:11:08

I was going to recommend Persepolis, too. Great idea for a thread, will look out for some of these, such a fascinating country.

Only a little of it is set in Iran (then Persia), but have you read Road to Oxiania by Robert Byron? If not, I'd definitely recommend it.

Letmeeatcakecakecake Tue 06-Jan-15 21:53:56

I'm sure Abasi and the Palace is set in Iran, I've not read it but I know the author and I'm pretty sure that's where he said it was set when he was telling me about it.

diddydiddydumpling Wed 07-Jan-15 14:04:17

Slightly off topic but might be of interest is the Iranian film maker and screenwriter Abbas Kiarostami. He has made some stunning documentary style films set in Iran. My personal favourite is 'The wind Will Carry Us'. The cinematography is a joy, coupled with a captivating story line.
A good number of his films are available on DVD from Amazon. I found they gave great insight when studying Iran.

diddydiddydumpling Wed 07-Jan-15 14:41:28

You might like Shahnameh - The Epic of Kings/The Persian Book of Kings

pdf here -

www.sattor.com/english/Shahnameh.pdf

spinningheart Wed 07-Jan-15 19:00:03

I read the sample of City Of Lies by Ramita Nevai and have been meaning to continue but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not a novel though, its about a journalist who returns to Tehran after many years of living abroad and how he experiences daily life as an outsider in his own country. It was very good to start with and great reviews on amazon.

'Reading Lolita in Tehran' is about a reading group for Iranian women (reading books which the government did not want them to read) and I found it absolutely fascinating.

MarmosetMum Sat 10-Jan-15 18:11:19

OP read My Uncle Napolean - it is a modern classic fiction (very famous) and one of the rare translated books from Farsi to English. It is also rare as it is was writing with Iranian readers in mind ( as opposed to the books of Azar Nafisi or Marjan Satrapi or travel books - all of whom were intended and written for non-Iranians and not written in Farsi originally). it is a favourite amongst Iranians. A TV series was also made from the book during Shah's time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now