Talk

Advanced search

help me find this book please!

(6 Posts)
ZingOfSeven Fri 21-Nov-14 00:31:39

I can't remember title or author, but it is about the London Underground and a bet of some sort of covering every station/stop within a certain amount of time. I think.

It's a fab book and I want to read it again.

Any ideas?

BOFster Fri 21-Nov-14 00:42:24

Was it this one by John Lanchester?

ZingOfSeven Fri 21-Nov-14 03:09:57

no it isn't BOF sad

I don't know if it's classified as a novel. it's a story of this bloke who knows absolutely everything about the history of the Tube, secret channels, trivia, everything. there's and a bet and IIRC he has to take a photo of himself at every stop (with name of tube station behind him) to prove he can do it (maybe there's a time limit).
so he starts off on this adventure and I think there might be someone else doing it too and they are racing who is fastest?
aaarrgh, I can't remember!

it's bloody exciting!

(I actually can't sleep it's bugging me so much)

magimedi Fri 21-Nov-14 07:43:12

Is it King Solomon's Carpet by Barbara Vine?

It's a crime thriller (Vine is another name Ruth Rendell writes under) & is all about the underground.

Actually I don't think it is as there is no race in it. But it's a great book, anyhow.

ZingOfSeven Fri 21-Nov-14 12:30:47

Thanks both - I have found it!

It's called "Tunnel vision" by Keith Lowe

it's about the Tube Challenge..
The main character Andy bets that he can do all Tube stations in a day, but it happens to be the day before his wedding day and he bets his passport & honeymoon tickets that he can do it.
a tramp who knows the Underground really well joins him and gives him tips and offers him tactics on how to complete this insane journey.

it's such a brilliant book! I highly recommend it.
thanks again for input.smile

BestIsWest Sat 22-Nov-14 20:33:04

I like the sound of that.

Loved King Soloman's Carpet too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now