Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Books for Christmas Wish List

(11 Posts)
phoolani Wed 19-Nov-14 10:55:09

I'm trying to put together a wish list for me for Christmas as DP always manages to buy me books I already own. I don't read 'light' fiction (I hate the phrase chick lit but at least people will know what I mean), but I do make a conscious effort to read female authors, with bonus points if the story itself is centred on women's lives. I love Sarah Waters (tho not generally a fan of historical fiction), Margaret Attwood, Jennifer Egan, Isabel Allende, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Annie Proulx, A.M Holmes...
All suggestions gratefully received!

Ellisisland Wed 19-Nov-14 11:16:27

Not sure if this will help you or not but this the list I have to my DH this morning. All female authors. I have already read The Sugnature of All Things on Kindle but love it so much have requested a 'proper' copy! It's all centered around a female protagonist and is just wonderful.

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton
The Purchase - Linda Spalding
The Signature of all Things - Elizabeth Gilbert
Everything I never told you - Celeste Ng
Belzhar - Meg wolizter
How to be both -Ali smith
The sunrise -victoria hislop

phoolani Wed 19-Nov-14 15:43:08

Oh, I like the look of some of these! I already have The Miniaturist, but haven't got round to reading it yet. Not a Hislop fan, tho, just something about her writing irritates me!

bookwormbeagle Fri 21-Nov-14 11:13:12

Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Paying Guests - Sarah Waters
life After Life - Kate Atkinson
The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins (old book but v.good IMO)

All read and enjoyed recently. Will watch this thread for inspiration as I have a similar DH who won't buy me books now as he doesn't know what I'd like hmm even though I have a fully updated wish list on amazon

mmack Fri 21-Nov-14 22:29:18

Ruth Ozeki - A Tale for the Time Being
Jane Urquhart - Sanctuary
One of my favourite books of all time; Unless by Carol Shields

meandjulio Sat 22-Nov-14 19:07:05

Have you read The Goldfinch? I thought it was spectacularly good.

mynameisred Sat 22-Nov-14 19:12:45

Marilynne Robinson - Lila

DoctorGilbertson Sat 22-Nov-14 20:26:45

Connie Willis was recommended to me here on Mumsnet and I love her books!

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 22-Nov-14 20:40:45

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey.
Jenn Ashworth

IsabellaofFrance Sun 23-Nov-14 19:46:32

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
The Undertaking - Audrey Macgee. Its a small book and quite hard hitting, but I couldn't put it down.

mistymeanour Wed 03-Dec-14 21:16:24

The Persephone catalogue of books are often good. Their authors include Dorothy Whipple - Someone from a distance and They were Sisters are well worth reading .DE Stevenson's Consequences is a heart breaking book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now