Talk

Advanced search

Do you look forward to adaptations of your favourite books, or dread them?

(4 Posts)
Thurlow Mon 17-Nov-14 20:59:11

I've just seen the first few little snippets of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, which will be on the BBC pretty soon. It's my favourite book of all time, I absolutely fell in love with it. I've lost count of how many times I've read it.

I can't decide if it's a good thing it's being adapted or not. On the one hand, if they get it right it could be amazing. And then everyone will know what an incredible book it is. But then, if they get it wrong - how awful. And I'll have to sit there saying "no, no, really, the book is so much better..." And also, let's be shallow, what if it's great and everyone loves it and then you look like you only like books you've seen on the telly? blush

And, and - what if they do a Captain Correlli's Mandolin on it? God, that would be heartbreaking. I loved that book. And then Nicolas Cage ruined it.

GeordieRose Tue 18-Nov-14 13:45:44

I tend to dread them tbh, although I always watch the adaptations and am sometimes pleasantly surprised, as with the Game of Thrones tv series, which is mostly brilliant. I hated the Harry Potter films though. Currently awaiting the film adaptation of In the Heart of the Sea which is due for release next year, with mingled dread and excitement. It's a wonderful book, hope the film is as good...grin

Thurlow Tue 18-Nov-14 14:00:30

I'm worried about Wolf Hall as well...

GeordieRose Tue 18-Nov-14 14:18:10

That book is sat on my shelf waiting to be read still I'm afraid grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now