Talk

Advanced search

Revival by Stephen King. Anybody else read it yet?

(18 Posts)

Would love to chat about it, although I was pretty disappointed tbh.

chibi Sun 16-Nov-14 18:37:18

i finished it yesterday. it was fantastic, right up to the climax, which was <...> as you are well aware. he is not too good with the payoff, is he? i can only think of a few of his novels where he was.

never mind, it was ok. i am very aware that we may be finally coming to the end of his career, oh dear. i will miss looking forward to new king books sad

sad I thought this was his worst one for quite a while. It just didn't really do anything, and the ending was almost as stupid as the one for, 'Under the Dome.'

chibi Sun 16-Nov-14 20:32:53

i agree about the stupid ending. it was a pleasant distraction from report writing for me though, so there's that.

U2TheEdge Mon 17-Nov-14 08:49:39

I am onto chapter 9.

Loving it so far and will not avoid this thread until I have finished it. Dh read it and loved it.

Boysclothes Mon 24-Nov-14 22:21:06

So I've just finished this book. First the obvious caveat, it's SK, best writer ever, I feel privileged to live in a time and place where I can experience SK in my life and I would read his shopping list.

Didn't particularly enjoy the book. The writing was an engaging as ever but the ending.... I think this was just something he had to get off his chest. He writes in skeleton crew that every horror writer has to, at some point, tackle the abyss, the horrible void, the terrifying wasteland that lies belong this world, Lovecraftian style, and he's done a few short stories about it. Including a few with the worm book in them. This was his attempt at turning that into a novel I think. Didn't really succeed and I think this was because he started with the premise that he was going to write a novel about the abyss, and then shoved some characters in to fit. I would wager that his novels are usually more organic than that.

Plus the "secret electricity" thing. When you think of the complexity of the universe he showed us in the dark tower series and how explicitly he explained that, the secret electricity was a total cop out. It was just "yeah, here's a plot device, don't ask questions, just accept it" and he doesn't t do that normally. He explains. It's why you believe his world building. This was thin.

Also, I didn't enjoy the fact I couldn't relate the book to the DT universe. I want that to be the core of his books and I always enjoy them more when they are. Not that they have to explicitly reference DT in any way, just that when he writes within that framework, they are the most compelling and wonderful books he writes. Personal thing though.

Boysclothes Mon 24-Nov-14 22:22:45

Oh, and it was FUCKING BLEAK. Haven't read such a bleak SK since pet sem/cujo. He does hope so much better.

NadiaWadia Wed 26-Nov-14 17:46:07

I have just finished it and I feel like I want my money back! It starts off quite well, with the childhood stuff, then quickly gets dull, (I found I was skipping a lot) and the ending was the most incredible bollocks.

He's very inconsistent though, isn't he, Stephen King? How can he be both the writer of something utterly absorbing like '11.22.63' which I loved and also churn out stuff like this and 'Under the Dome' which as others have mentioned, also has a stupid and unsatisfactory ending?

MyIronLung Fri 28-Nov-14 20:54:50

I've not read the whole thread because I don't want any spoilers grin

I've currently got it sitting on my Nook to read and I'm very excited! I've recently finished NOS4A2 by Joe hill (SKs son) and it was very good, especially if you like SKs syle of writing.

Hmm,I've been wanting to get this to add to my collection of SK books (got around 50 in physical book form) but you lot are putting me off now.

I often end up a bit disappointed by his endings tbh,they sometimes seem a bit of a rushed 'thank god that's over' for him.But maybe that's because there is always so much build up and prior detail,he needs to do bigger endings really.Doctor Sleep the ending was just annoying,it lost everything the book had contained really.

Maybe I'll get myself The Book of Strange New Things for Christmas instead

FiveHoursSleep Sun 21-Dec-14 19:34:10

I didn't like it either but thought it was just me. It wasn't just the plot either, the writing seemed below par. Loved 11.22.63 and Mr Mercedes though.

AliceLidl Mon 29-Dec-14 23:18:30

I read the whole thing thinking the lead character was called Eddie and wondering why they were calling him Jamie every time his name was mentioned.

I was hoping it would King's Frankenstein, I wanted someone to come back from the dead. I realise he did that with Pet Sematary but it would have been nice to have a new one. And I realise somebody did come back, but it was the most boring return from the dead ever.

I was disappointed with the end as well, it did feel very rushed and anticlimactic.

I did like the dreams Eddie was having though, where his dead family sat around a table singing "something happened to you" to the tune of happy birthday. Spookiest bit of the book.

RufusTheReindeer Mon 29-Dec-14 23:26:04

Love SK

Have read everything he has done although I do feel that a few of his books are not (ooooooh don't want to say it!!!) very good

I am struggling, usually it goes receive book, read book, ignore everything and everyone til it's finished

Not so much with this one

ClashCityRocker Tue 30-Dec-14 17:02:31

rufusthereindeer

I could've written that post. Normally I pretty much devour a new SK book, but this one, I've sort of semi-given up halfway through and started reading something else.

There's something missing...

I think he rushed too many out too quickly this year tbh.

NannyPhlegm Tue 30-Dec-14 17:50:42

I started this book with a lot of expectation as I had enjoyed Doctor Sleep and 11.22.63 and I thought SK had for his mojo back. But, like everyone else, I was very disappointed with the book, especially the ending. In fact, I suspended disbelief a lot more than I would for other authors because I so wanted to like it. And, yes yes to the "secret electricity" crap with no explanation whatsoever hmm

LadyintheRadiator Tue 30-Dec-14 17:57:24

I really wanted to love it and I think it started well - then went nowhere fast, then ended. Shame.

wherethewildthingis Tue 30-Dec-14 19:17:43

I've started it and am early on. Read mixed r reviews so I am prepared for it to be patchy but I am enjoying so far. I felt really affected by the car crash and the scene in the funeral parlour, kept thinking of it over and over for a couple of days. He is an amazing writer. He just has a way of catching the horror of things - the phrases used to describe the injuries of the woman and boy are so sparing but just so horrifying.
As previous posters have said I would read his shopping list.
Hope not to be too disappointed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now