Talk

Advanced search

I've just read I Capture The Castle for the first time...

(42 Posts)
punygod Sat 15-Nov-14 15:46:38

...at the ripe old age of forty, solely due to seeing it mentioned so often on these boards.

How did I miss it for all those years? It was so beautiful.

Thank you, Mners, I now have a new favourite book. I just wish I'd read it when I was younger.

IsabellaofFrance Sat 15-Nov-14 16:24:36

Its lovely isn't it - definitely one of my favourites.

Allalonenow Sat 15-Nov-14 16:31:49

Oh yes it's delightful, must be even more so if read for the first time as a young teen. smile

punygod Sat 15-Nov-14 16:50:13

I wasn't expecting it to be quite so funny. I just adore the narrator.

TimeWarp Sat 15-Nov-14 16:56:03

I wonder if I should try it again? I read it because so many people here had loved it and thought it was so-so.

LittleBairn Sat 15-Nov-14 16:59:06

I loved it too and I agree so beautiful , I was in my early 20's when I read it. I must be due a re-read.

VenusRising Sat 15-Nov-14 17:01:35

I adore that book.
It's lovely if you find it again after 20 years or so <chaotic stacks of books>

Any other recommendations?

ThursdayLast Sat 15-Nov-14 17:02:30

I didn't read it until I was in my mid 20s maybe?
I love it now.
Topaz - what a woman grin

LittleBairn Sat 15-Nov-14 17:11:39

Timewarp I would try it again, its one of those books that you just need to be in the right mood for I'm not sure I would have appreciated it at a younger age.

LittleBairn Sat 15-Nov-14 17:13:29

Venus not quite in the same vein but I found Atonment quite similar in the sense of capturing a time period that's passed and the atmospheric feel of the book.

Trills Sat 15-Nov-14 17:20:39

I found it a bit dull, TBH.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

punygod Sat 15-Nov-14 17:58:34

I loved the set pieces - the part where Rose climbed up the fireplace, and when Cassandra was stranded in a Lyon's Corner House hiding a dog under the table, and the Midsummer Eve rites. Wonderfully atmospheric.

I did find the ending very sad, though.

SpringHeeledJack Sat 15-Nov-14 18:07:16

I read it as a teen first (present from Granny- THANK YOU Granny-I'd never have found it myself) and have re read so many times I now know huge chunks off by heart

Possible disadvantage of reading at early age-reinforced my romantic notion that unrequited love was in some way positive, and not a shocking waste of time

That said, it's my very favourite book in the world. Apparently Dodie Smith rewrote each sentence over and over and polished the whole thing till it shone. Frankly don't know why anyone else bothered to write anything afterwards grin

AmeliaPeabody Sat 15-Nov-14 18:10:41

I loved it. I first read it when I was a teen.

AnnOnymity Sat 15-Nov-14 18:20:06

I read it a few years ago, after reading a rave review on MN. Wonderful book.

tshirtsuntan Sat 15-Nov-14 18:30:21

I absolutely love it, the first read is the best, never quite so exciting once you know what happens. Any recommendations for similar books?

TurboTheChicken Sat 15-Nov-14 20:31:53

How about The Constant Nymph by Margaret Kennedy or A Wreath for an Enemy by Pamela Frankau?

Or any Nancy Mitford?

Or The Go Between by LP Hartley?

TheLovelyBoots Sun 16-Nov-14 14:19:48

I loved it! One of my favorites. It's my MIL's favorite book from when she was a young girl. I'm giving it to my niece for Christmas.

TheLovelyBoots Sun 16-Nov-14 14:20:49

Or The Go Between by LP Hartley?

I loved this one too - I agree.

tshirtsuntan Mon 17-Nov-14 03:28:04

Thanks for the suggestions,will check them out smile

mollister Mon 17-Nov-14 14:50:56

Have you read the Once and Future King by TH White? I have it on my favourite book list with I capture the castle. I saw that R4 are about to serialise it. It is very funny but beautiful too.
Other favourites are Miss Garnet's angel by Salley Vickers - and I agree about Nancy Mitford, anything by her is marvellous.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 17-Nov-14 17:28:57

I'd second The Go-Between, it's a really lovely book. I've read it about 6 times.

I read I Capture the Castle a couple of years ago. It was ok but it didn't really grab me, I passed it on to DD1. The first sentence is one of those which will appear in those "Guess the book from the first sentence" quizzes.

lurkingaround Mon 17-Nov-14 21:21:24

The Go Between! There's a blast from the past. God I loved that book. Thought it was wonderful. I read and re-read and re-read it many times in my 20s. And then I forgot.
I'm surely due a re-read!

Wonderful book.

Supermam Tue 18-Nov-14 10:54:25

I finished it last night. It's wonderful! Loved Cassandra - she was so funny. The opening paragraph was probably the best I've ever read! I can't believe I was never introduced to it as a child; I've always been an avid reader. Perhaps it wasn't/ isn't fashionable. I'm certainly going to recommend it to my bookclub and friends.

OwlCapone Tue 18-Nov-14 10:57:08

I read it a while back because of MN and thought it was crap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now