Talk

Advanced search

book recommendations please

(13 Posts)
ashesandfire Sat 15-Nov-14 14:48:54

I am a very busy teacher and the only time I really get to read is just before bed when I nod off! Can anyone recommend some books to me which are decent reads I.e. not trashy chick lit which I hate but really, really easy to read?!
Some of my favourite books to give you a sense of what I like- anything by Khaled Hosseini, the Poisonwood bible, the Shadow of the Wind, One day, Alias grace....tia!

MrsMeeple Sat 15-Nov-14 19:39:54

Have you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Novel by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer?

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 15-Nov-14 19:40:54

'Just One Damned Thing After Another' by Jodi Taylor

MrsMeeple Sat 15-Nov-14 19:41:24

And you could try www.lovereading.co.uk.

BOFster Sat 15-Nov-14 19:46:42

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves is a good read- get the kindle edition if you can, as I believe the paperback has a major spoiler on its own back cover hmm. It was nominated for the Booker, but it's easy to read.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 15-Nov-14 19:49:41

I have just discovered Susan Howatch and am two thirds through 'the high flyer'. It's a 'spiritual thriller', a genre I was unfamiliar with but I am loving it! I also loved 'The Poisonwood Bible'.

stepinrhyme Sat 15-Nov-14 20:37:49

Gillespie and I by Jane Harris

TheLovelyBoots Sun 16-Nov-14 14:24:07

Well, Poisonwood Bible is my new favorite book ever (I started a thread about it last week) - so here are my recent favorites:
Life after Life (as good as PWB, I think)
The Secret History/The Goldfinch (I give these 8/10 rather than 10/10 for PWB)
A Suitable Boy (long but so worth it)

tripfiction Tue 18-Nov-14 20:54:45

Have just been reading Us by David Nicholls. A family's Grand Tour around Europe as the couple relationship comes under stress and the role of 'parent' needs re-evaluating. Well observed for human interaction as well as setting. Man Booker Longlist this year (and it is nothing like other worthy Booker nominations I have read : equals pleasurable!)

sparrowcottage Wed 19-Nov-14 10:12:19

really really didnt like We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, cant remember the last time i considered giving up on a book, and i should have about 30% of the way in. the negative amazon reviews sum it up for me. will go back to david nicholls i think.

iseenodust Wed 19-Nov-14 10:40:21

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey just went down well with our bookclub.

morchoxplz Thu 27-Nov-14 16:28:35

Anything by Sue Townsend funny, sad, easy to read!

sooperdooper Thu 27-Nov-14 17:36:37

Anything by Maggie O'Farrell, start with The Vanishing of Esme Lennox

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now