Willy Vlautin

(12 Posts)
mmack Tue 11-Nov-14 15:55:42

I started a thread a few months ago looking for recommendations for more obscure writers and Kaxter suggested Willy Vlautin. I just finished reading The Free and it was amazing. I had tears in my eyes the whole way through. The simple style of the writing and the compassion for people on the margins reminded me so much of John Steinbeck. I can't wait to read his other novels now.

izzybobsmum Sun 16-Nov-14 19:51:53

Willy Vlautin is wonderful! Have you read Lean On Pete? Beautiful book. He's also in a band called Richmond Fontaine who are quite good.

mmack Wed 19-Nov-14 10:33:47

I ordered Lean on Pete and The Motel Life. I should have them by the weekend.

spinningheart Wed 26-Nov-14 22:28:13

Oh thats great mmack- I am or rather, I was kaxter before i namechanged - and I randomly came across this thread. I'm so glad you liked Willy Vlautin and I in turn will read The Free - I've read his others but not that one. I heard him being interviewed on the radio and he sounded so understated and honest, just like his writing really. I was just on another thread recommending History of the Rain by Niall Williams. It is in a completely different style from Willy Vlautin but achingly beautiful in parts and I loved it.

mmack Thu 27-Nov-14 18:05:12

Was your name change inspired by the Donal Ryan book? I hadn't heard of History of the Rain but it looks good. I'll put it on my list for 2015. There are a lot of books I would like at the moment. Some Luck by Jane Smiley and The Children Act are top of the list at the moment.

spinningheart Sat 29-Nov-14 08:35:56

Yes mmack that was the name change inspiration, I loved that book as well. I'm also looking forward to Jane smiley, haven't read anything by her in years. Do you read them on kindle? There are some books like most of the ones on this thread, that I know I will want on my shelves and not on kindle. At the moment I'm about to start Home by Marilynne Robinson or else All the Birds Singing by Evie Wyld.

mmack Sat 29-Nov-14 12:33:55

I don't have a kindle. I buy some books new and order a lot from the library. There's a very good second hand book shop in my town as well. I can see the advantages of a kindle but I love actual books too much. Also I read at least book or two every week so I think a kindle would still work out quite expensive for me. I had to wait about 5 months to get The Goldfinch and I reserved Elizabeth is Missing ages ago and am still only no. 2 in the queue for it but usually if I reserve a book I get it in less than a month.

caker Fri 12-Dec-14 11:54:54

I found The Motel Life in a charity shop a few years ago and loved it, I must read more of Vlautin's work. Just googled him and found out there is a film version, anyone know if it is any good?

GiantGaspingSatanicCyst Fri 12-Dec-14 12:03:15

Just finishing The Motel Life, it's great. I bought it at a Delines gig - they're his other band and are also amazing.

mmack Fri 12-Dec-14 15:11:10

I read The Motel Life last week and I have Lean on Pete on loan from the library. It's been years since I liked a writer enough to go read all their books in one go. I just looked up the film version on IMDB-it's very well cast. Kris Kristofferson would be a great Earl. I really want to see it now. I might buy it from Amazon after Christmas because I want to buy Northline as well.
I loved the way Willie Nelson kept popping up in The Motel Life. I often listen to him when I'm driving and his version of Always on My Mind is one of my favourite songs ever.

antimatter Sun 21-Jun-15 15:56:52

Just bought Lean on Pete this morning and am half way through.
Really good book. I will try to read his other books at some point.

I read Lean on Pete a couple of years ago and loved it, read The Motel Life recently too, another really good read, but I did find the incident leading to them leaving town a bit upsetting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now