Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a Christmas-based Novel.....

(19 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Mon 10-Nov-14 17:34:02

Don't want any chick lit unless it's high end, e.g. Jojo Moyes

I've read a Christmas Carol.

Tia

eddiemairswife Mon 10-Nov-14 17:47:23

There's a short novel by John Grisham called Skipping Christmas about a couple who decide to go away to escape Christmas. More difficult than they thought!

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 10-Nov-14 17:48:42

I think Jodi Taylor (Just One Damned Thing After Another) has written something Christmas-related, but it might be a novella.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 10-Nov-14 17:49:51

The author, not the adult film star.

HappydaysArehere Mon 10-Nov-14 18:11:10

Christmas won't be Christmas.......Little Women. My favourite book of all time so can't resist this chance to re plug it.

Quangle Mon 10-Nov-14 21:15:23

Wally Lamb Wishin and Hopin. It's the only Wally Lamb I haven't read but all his books are stunning and I know it's about Christmas

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 10-Nov-14 21:54:09

Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm. Probably only a good choice if you like Cold Comfort Farm to start with.

Christmasbooks Mon 10-Nov-14 22:39:36

Oh oh!! Please buy my mum's! It is new, just out on Amazon Kindle, and it is really good (not chick lit). I've just shamelessly promoted it in AIBU...copy and paste of that thread here:

I've namechanged so as not to out myself but have been on MN for years and years smile

My mum is in her late 60s and has always wanted to write. Now she's done it and she is actually really good. She's written three (3!!) novels and has just put one on Kindle - her first tentative venture into showing her work to the general public.

I genuinely think it's a good book - also it is set at Christmas time so is rather seasonal - it's only a quid on Amazon (it was supposed to be 99p but I think she got the pricing a bt wrong and it came out at £1.05) - and it would make her SO happy if some people would read it and like it.

It's called "Christmas at Great Madden" by Catherine J. Bowness.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00PFTJ2W8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1415658287&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40

MNHQ - I bet I am breaking all the rules, doing this. But it is for my mum, and this is Mumsnet...and it really is a good book!!

LaurieFairyCake Mon 10-Nov-14 22:41:37

I've just bought your mams book

Merry Christmas grin

Christmasbooks Mon 10-Nov-14 22:43:16

Awww Laurie smile. That's proper Xmas spirit! Will you tell me if you like it? Then I will tell her (but prob I will only tell her if you do...)

TheLovelyBoots Thu 13-Nov-14 04:56:46

Christmasbooks, I'll go take a look now.

The Corrections?

CheerfulYank Thu 13-Nov-14 05:18:11

I don't have a kindle but I wish I could buy it Christmasbooks smile

Christmasbooks Thu 13-Nov-14 21:26:35

Oh, thank you both! smile

tripfiction Fri 14-Nov-14 09:43:45

A Heart Bent Out of Shape by Emylia Hall is a decent read for the Wintery/Xmas feel, takes you to snowy Switzerland

www.tripfiction.com/book-set-in-switzerland/

Seeline Fri 14-Nov-14 09:45:57

Possibly too chick lit, but Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher is a lovely warm hearted Christmas book.

InglouriousBasterd Fri 14-Nov-14 13:35:34

How about the Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris? Obviously depends if you like her writing, but it's set in the run up to Christmas and is a sequel to Chocolat. Very gentle reading grin

Clawdy Fri 14-Nov-14 18:07:15

"Hercule Poirot's Christmas" is always a good Christmas read.

bedelia Mon 17-Nov-14 22:57:50

I've just started Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. Rather a large tome, but has rave reviews (and so far I'm LOVING it!).

Also second "The Lollipop Shoes" =)

BaconAndAvocado Tue 18-Nov-14 17:55:29

Ordered a book called Coming Home for Christmas by Julia Williams, pretty much in the chick- lit camp but looks very warm and cosy!

I can give my brain a rest over the next few weeks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now