Talk

Advanced search

The Poisonwood Bible. Like, wow. (Spoilers)

(30 Posts)
TheLovelyBoots Mon 10-Nov-14 13:07:21

I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I just read the part where Ruth May dies on the tube ride home and was sobbing in the corner, what an embarrassment.

I think this is possibly the best book I have ever read - Orleana's chapters are particularly haunting when she talks about the strength it took her not to walk out every day.

Does Nathan ever narrate a chapter?

Did you love it?

TheKitchenWitch Mon 10-Nov-14 13:08:27

Read it years and years ago, but yes, a very powerful book, I loved it too.

Clarabumps Mon 10-Nov-14 13:10:39

I read it years ago. As far as I can remember I don't think Nathan does. I love d it. It's one of my favourite books. I remember sobbing when Ruth May died.
Such a good story.

TheLovelyBoots Mon 10-Nov-14 13:14:03

The way Orleana describes grief tipped me over the edge: It's like swimming with your hair flowing behind you - the moment you stop, it catches up with you.
Sob.

dreamingbohemian Mon 10-Nov-14 13:14:54

Oh yes, what a great book. I seem to remember spending the whole book internally screaming at Nathan.

treaclesoda Mon 10-Nov-14 13:17:35

I loved it too, I thought it was very powerful but also it was a really good story, so different to anything else I'd ever read.

TheLovelyBoots Mon 10-Nov-14 13:18:13

I can't understand why Orleana didn't call her father and beg for his help with Ruth May fell ill, or when the drought arrived, or the ants (!) and then finally, the green mamba. Is he still around? He's an eye doctor?

That's about as far as I've gotten.

skolastica Tue 11-Nov-14 06:04:15

I've just re-read it - am currently in that part of Africa as my daughter and her boyfriend have been living here for the past year and I'm on a visit.

The bit that really grabbed me this time is the political commentary in the second half of the book - American involvement to destabilise the country. How that passed me by on first reading, I don't know.

Loved the voices of the four girls.

differentisstillnormal Tue 11-Nov-14 06:05:30

My favourite book
I could probably read it again as its years since I read it

TheLovelyBoots Tue 11-Nov-14 06:48:24

I love the round-robin narrators - she does it beautifully. I love it in general, though.

TheLovelyBoots Tue 11-Nov-14 06:49:39

skolastica are you actually in the Congo at the moment?

skolastica Tue 11-Nov-14 06:51:39

Yes, in Congo-Brazzaville though, not the Democratic Republic.

TanteRose Tue 11-Nov-14 06:54:39

loved this book...read it ages ago, and I read your OP and for one brief second thought "eh, Ruth May died on a tube ride home??" grin

must reread...

my fave Barbara Kingsolver has to be The Bean Trees - love it

Bolshybookworm Tue 11-Nov-14 06:58:04

Such a beautifully written book, this thread is making me want to read it again.

I recently read two of her other books- Flight Behaviour and the Lacuna. Both were excellent, her writing is just wonderful.

TheLovelyBoots Tue 11-Nov-14 09:32:08

How does Flight Behavior compare to PWB? i.e. is it as good?

Bolshybookworm Tue 11-Nov-14 18:22:23

I didn't like it quite as much, but then I absolutely LOVED the Poisonwood bible. Still very good though, beautiful imagery again.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 11-Nov-14 21:31:47

Someone else who thought Ruth didn't die on the tube, surely? blush

The only one of BK's I've read is The Poisonwood Bible. I enjoyed it, but not enough to rush out and get any more. I did like the different narrators though.

A friend was raving over Flight Behaviour recently and is going to lend me her copy so I'll maybe give it a go.

Poofus Tue 11-Nov-14 21:36:15

I absolutely loved this book. Didn't enjoy Lacuna though and am not enjoying Flight Behaviour too much either.

alemci Tue 11-Nov-14 21:37:04

yes i was impressed. forgotten alot of it.

read a book about butterflies in Virginia recently. that may have been her?

TheLovelyBoots Wed 12-Nov-14 06:21:56

Someone else who thought Ruth didn't die on the tube, surely?

I really made a mess of that one didn't I?

alemci I haven't read Flight Behavior but I'm pretty sure that's it.

skolastica Wed 12-Nov-14 06:45:04

I read The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven many years ago - loved them both. I've been a fan of Barbara Kingsolver since then.

Prodigal Summer is another good one.

Many writers write just because they can write and it's like eating too much stodgy food whilst BK weaves a powerful bit of herself into every book. To me this is what marks her out as a writer who will stand the test of time.

treaclesoda Wed 12-Nov-14 07:58:32

I read a non fiction Barbara Kingsolver book a few years ago that was excellent as well. I think it was called something like a Year Of Eating Locally, although I may be wrong about that. It was basically about her family doing an experiment of only eating food that could be produced within a 30 mile radius of their home, as a way of studying the wider issues associated with modern food production, food miles etc. Was very interesting.

TanteRose Wed 12-Nov-14 09:09:54

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle was fabulous

TheLovelyBoots Wed 12-Nov-14 09:18:35

I'm nearly done, just a few percent more sad. I'll move onto Prodigal Summer next.

I'm already suffering book hangover.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Nov-14 17:42:37

One of my favourite books, I've read and re read it umpteen times and every time discover something new in it.

She did a question and answer thingy on here a while back, she answered one of my questions,I was SO thrilledgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now