Talk

Advanced search

books for a time capsule

(6 Posts)
happygelfling Wed 05-Nov-14 19:41:49

I'm putting together a time capsule for my son to open when he turns 18. The idea is to put in things that represent 2014, and perhaps the tail end of 2013 (he was born at the end of December).
Any clever ideas for what I can put in it?
I was thinking of some kind of almanac, and perhaps a book about the start of WWI as it's the centenary.
Any suggestions for either of those ideas, or for something completely different, would be very welcome.
(We've already got things about the Tour de France, loom bands, newspapers from his birthday, and some personal family stuff.)

smallandimperfectlyformed Thu 06-Nov-14 18:59:51

What about the winner of the Booker Prize? Actually, I think I am Malala would be a great book for him - she got the Nobel Prize this year so I think that's the big story I'd like remembered, especially as she's only 17/18 herself. Hope that helps

happygelfling Thu 06-Nov-14 23:02:31

What a great suggestion - thank you!

smallandimperfectlyformed Fri 07-Nov-14 14:41:48

You're welcome. I was thinking about this a bit more and I think another young person that might be worth mentioning is Stephen Sutton, the teenage cancer sufferer who caught everyone's attention this year.

happygelfling Wed 12-Nov-14 09:31:35

Thanks for your suggestions smallandimperfectlyformed.
I've gone with Malala, and I've also gone for Sleepwalkers (about the start of WWI).
A friend told me that her daughter had been given Schotts Miscellany (?) which is a sort of almanac I think. - I'm probably bring a muppet but I can't find one online that specifies which year it's for can anyone explain it to me please?

hackmum Sun 16-Nov-14 13:48:11

Schotts Miscellany came out a few years ago - it wasn't related to a specific year, it was just a collection of odd little snippets of information, like conversion from metric to imperial and that kind of thing - all the stuff you normally can't remember. The one that sticks in my mind is how bra sizes work, which is actually quite useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now