Talk

Advanced search

When, where and how much do you read?

(44 Posts)
SuperScribbler Tue 04-Nov-14 09:50:53

Really interested in this after reading through the 50 book challenge. Some people (Remussmile) manage to read so many books, in spite of their busy lives.

I'll start:
I read whenever I have a free moment. I always have a book or my kindle with me. I don't have a set time when I always read.

I read wherever I am. At the kitchen table when Cooking, in the car (when waiting for DS after school/clubs etc), next to DH on the sofa whilst he watches TV, in bed before sleeping.

I get through between 4 and 8 books a month. I'm not a speed reader, but keep up a decent pace.

steppemum Tue 04-Nov-14 09:55:54

every night before I go to sleep, no matter how late to bed.

Sometimes I read for 10 minutes and then fall asleep.
Sometimes I am still reading at 2 am.

When I have been really busy, I hide in a corner of the sofa with a book.

I try not to read too much in the daytime, as I would read my life away.

My greatest proud moment ad a mother is that all 3 of mine seem to have picked up the reading habit!

DuchessofMalfi Tue 04-Nov-14 11:27:30

I'm the same as you scribbler with the addition of audiobooks when I'm out walking or cooking or driving.

JoandMax Tue 04-Nov-14 11:32:14

Always in bed, I can't go to sleep without it! Sometimes its only a few pages, others a few hours (my treat when DH is away is to go to bed at 8pm with my kindle!).

I also read while I'm waiting for the DCs after school, I often purposefully get there half hour early......

I love reading all, I find it the most relaxing and stress relieving activity. I go to a book club once a month too which has really expanded my reading to books I would never have chosen myself.

LilAnnieAmphetamine Tue 04-Nov-14 11:34:44

I get up at 6 a.m to read for an hour then read on and off throughout the day (I work in part as a professional reader and reviewer for publishers). I get through 5-6 books a week, half I speed read and the others I read more thoroughly- it depends on the type of book.

I also read three newspapers on Saturday and Sunday.

I have read avidly since learning to read aged four and my worst fear is going blind.

RiverTam Tue 04-Nov-14 11:35:39

at breakfast
on the way to/from work if travelling by train (can't read on buses so have lost that right now)
in bed, always, even if just for a couple of minutes
sometimes in the evening if there's nothing on TV and I'm really into my book
at lunchtime at work

scurryfunge Tue 04-Nov-14 11:41:17

I'd love to read more but can't always seem to fit it in. I have sleep problems and doctor has recommended not reading in bed. I tend to read during periods of annual leave when I read a book a day generally.

LilAnnieAmphetamine Tue 04-Nov-14 11:41:54

I sometimes walk along the path reading.

hackmum Tue 04-Nov-14 18:21:00

I usually wake up early and read in bed. Then I read over breakfast and over lunch. I generally read in the evening rather than watch tv. And then I read in bed at night. I read more since I've had the kindle - it means I can go from one book to the next without a pause, plus the kindle is very very portable and you can lay it flat while eating. That means I've gone from about 50 books a year to about 80.

I have no other hobbies. smile

I am a very fast reader and usually manage at least 150 a year. I'm on book 121 now, I think, and it's actually been quite a slow year as I've been very busy at work and have been ill too.

When and where?

I read the Kindle on my way to/from work (that's about half an hour each day)
I read in the bath - at least 40 minutes every day
In bed - around half an hour, most days
On Saturday evenings when I'm not messing around on MN, and when dp is watching crap on the telly
On Sunday afternoons
When waiting for buses and trains

I always have at least two books on the go at once, one fiction and one non-fiction, and often three.

LilAnnieAmphetamine Tue 04-Nov-14 18:35:11

I don't really watch TV which means a lot more free time to read smile

If I watch two hours a week, that is a lot.

Southeastdweller Wed 05-Nov-14 20:42:41

I read about for about an hour a day, Monday - Saturday, never on Sunday as The Sunday Times keeps me busy that day. I read usually on buses on the commute as well as trains if I'm going away (I don't drive) - I always, always have a book with me when travelling. Sometimes I read in libraries and cafés. I rarely read at home as it can be noisy and I'm easily distracted by my laptop and TV. I read about 4 or 5 books a month.

Tomuchtosay Wed 05-Nov-14 21:02:32

Reading good books with many in a series is just dangerous for me. As I unfortunately tune out of life, can end up reading until the small hours. On one occasion just really couldn't put the book down so got up made a coffee and read throughthe rest of the night at the kitchen table. OH half despairs of me when I get Like that. I tend to agree with him when I finish a series, then have a break. I am currently without a book so spending time on mumsnet instead. I really don't know how many books i've read this year confused I find it excruciating when I have to wait a year more for a follow on book to be written. I also have my old favorites which I can read over and over. Depending on size and written depth of a book I generally read a book in 1-3 days. I read anywere.

CheeseEqualsHappiness Wed 05-Nov-14 21:08:35

Less than I would like but when I am gripped by a book, everywhere I can

Comito Wed 05-Nov-14 21:09:47

Whenever I have free time. In bed in the mornings while I have a cup of tea, in bed at night before I go to sleep, on the train, in waiting rooms.

On Sunday, DH was watching the F1 and I told him to watch in the living room so I could lie in bed for two hours reading. Bliss.

I love reading.

mypoosmellsofroses Wed 05-Nov-14 21:10:01

At the moment I'm out of work so actually reading less, work meant 2-3 nights away from home, so lots of reading. I read in bed most nights and on holiday can easily do at least a book a day. Do a lot of long weekends in caravan, good long walks and then a few hours reading while DH naps, god what a pair of old farts we are smile Like the poster above, my children are all avid readers, it's great now they are older and we can swap books.

carlywurly Wed 05-Nov-14 21:13:17

Every day. I don't go anywhere without either a book or my iPad with about 100 books on there.
I'd read a couple of hours a day if I could but realistically it's more like 30 mins before sleep.
Reading and travel are my ultimate luxuries. Lying by a gorgeous pool with a pile of fresh, unread books is just heaven.

Yama Wed 05-Nov-14 21:14:04

Before sleep, in bed and about a book a fortnight.

I did read 4 books on holiday in October though.

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Nov-14 21:15:51

I always read in bed before going to sleep, and usually have one fiction and one non-fiction on the go.

I don't read during the day as if I did I'd never get anything else done, but I wish I could.

DH reads a lot as well, and so do all three DC.

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 05-Nov-14 21:17:31

I stopped reading books when I stopped bfing DD. I don't seem to have time. The light in our bedroom is too bright and there's nowhere to put a lamp, so I tend to come on MN instead. Maybe I'll read more when DS is at school. blush

NickiFury Wed 05-Nov-14 21:19:20

I take my kindle everywhere and before kindle was around I always had a book, you never when you're going to get a spare ten minutes. I read every night before I go to sleep and my dc are readers too.

LaQueenIsKickingThroughLeaves Wed 05-Nov-14 21:47:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LouiseBrooks Wed 05-Nov-14 21:52:44

On my commute (one hour each way) unless I'm knackered and sometimes in bed before I go to sleep On Saturdays I get up, make tea and toast and go back to bed and read for an hour.

How many a week/month depends on the books - how long, how serious, etc

WipsGlitter Wed 05-Nov-14 21:54:33

I read on my kindle although I went back to the library for a bit when it broke. I generally read in bed at night. If I can get some peace from the children I read at the weekend too. I read a book a fortnight, on holiday a book a day!

I've always loved to read. Am trying not to push ds1 as I want him to love reading.

Comito Wed 05-Nov-14 22:08:29

Holidays used to be a bit of a mare as my luggage had a ratio of about one third books, two thirds everything else. Kindle meant I could take less luggage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now