Talk

Advanced search

BEAUTIFUL book about a real life heroic cat

(15 Posts)
baabaa42 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:20:41

Hi everyone, I have just finished reading a most wonderful book that I got from Amazon about a real life cat and thought I must share it. It's called Simon Ships Out and tells the story of Simon who was onboard a ship in the 1940's called the HMS Amethyst. Simon won the Dickin Medal for bravery. The book is sooo lovely, gripping, sad - all told from the perspective of Simon. This is a lovely little book, great for kids too. It captures what it must of been like so well. Would be great to see what others think of it.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Mon 03-Nov-14 20:22:40

Added it to my wish list

baabaa42 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:36:05

you won't regret it jayne. a lovely book

Amethyst24 Mon 03-Nov-14 23:11:07

Awww, I went to he Animals in War exhibition at the Imperial War Museum a few years ago, and I remember reading about Simon. I wept like a baby.

Riverland Mon 03-Nov-14 23:15:36

Thankyou baabaa, will order that as Christmas gift for a cat lover!

waycat Thu 06-Nov-14 04:41:33

This sounds brilliant, and certainly unlike anything I've ever considered reading before. I tend to go for fiction for the most part..

Have added to my Amazon wish list in readiness for Christmas.

Thanks for the heads up baabaa42!

SallyGrangemouth Sat 08-Nov-14 14:46:13

Sounds like a lovely book and the short excerpt I read on amazon was very intriguing, cute and cheeky. Some of it made me laugh and other bits made me cry. Just bought it for my twins for Xmas tho to be honest I may just have to have a sneaky peep and read it when it arrives ;)
Hope I'm not posting this message over and over! It doesn't seem to want to post so I keep trying.

HappydaysArehere Mon 10-Nov-14 18:20:32

It's on my to buy list. Thank you for the suggestion. Hope I don't cry as much as I did when, as a child, I read Jennie by Paul Gallico. Got it home from Boots library, which really dates things, sat in my bedroom and never stopped crying.

waycat Tue 11-Nov-14 04:37:41

HappydaysArehere wrote:

"as a child, I read Jennie by Paul Gallico"

Oh gosh, I remember having this read to me at primary school back in the 1970s. After that I went out and got my own copy of the book and have that very same copy to this day.

It is my absolute favourite book ever, and I must have read it at least a dozen times. I never tire of this book.

I read it to my two boys (now 19 and 20) when they were little and they enjoyed it alot too.

HappydaysArehere Tue 11-Nov-14 22:15:47

Waycat, I know only too well that love you can have for a book. Attachments such as you describe are, I feel, stronger when they are formed in our youth. I too have never forgotten Jennie but my greatest passion has always been for Little Women and Good Wives. Those sisters were so real to me and I still have the books I was given as a youngster. I too read them to my girls. My mother also loved them and when her best friend was orphaned my grandmother took her in to live with them. My mother said they used to share a bedroom and talk about the characters late at night. Her friend called my grandmother Marmee.

slippermaiden Tue 11-Nov-14 22:21:03

Ooh that's two new books for me to buy and read smile

Bluestocking Tue 11-Nov-14 22:35:32

I like the look of Mrs Chippy's Last Expedition - Mrs Chippy was the ship's cat (actually a male!) who went on the Shackleton expedition to the South Pole.

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Nov-14 22:39:44

Have a look at Gwen Cooper and her cat Homer. She has written about this amazing blind cat that came into her life.
For laughs. The travelling cat.

SallyGrangemouth Fri 14-Nov-14 13:25:57

I bought a paperback for the kids, flicked thru it and downloaded it for myself from Amazon as I was sure I'd damage the spine. It made me laugh, think and bawl along the way. Very well written and in a kindof cute way so the cat had his own way of talking and the dog was really posh. And behind it all some great observations on life and humans, subtly hidden behind catlike talk. Great photos and illustrations and a clever way to tell a historical incident without making it seem dull. I think it'd be great for adults and also kids who are maybe 10 or 11 upwards. Im sure my twins will love it for xmas. It made me google the cat and it was amazing HOW famous he was!

SallyGrangemouth Fri 14-Nov-14 13:27:15

Oh, and I forgot to add, Bluestocking, Shackleton's cat is even talked about in it too! Brief mention as the sailors are chatting to each other about famous moggies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now