Talk

Advanced search

Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovitch

(26 Posts)
Elfina Sat 01-Nov-14 20:05:06

I've just read the first five books. Very enjoyable and easy to read on my long commute.

What else might I enjoy?

ThursdayOfTheLivingDead Sat 01-Nov-14 20:07:59

I finished the fourth one recently with a face like this --> shock
Can't wait for the paperback 5th.

Have you tried Jasper Fforde (obvious sorry) Christopher Moore (A Dirty Job was where I started) or the Anno Dracuka series by Kim Newman?

Luciferbox Sat 01-Nov-14 20:08:11

John Connolly, esp book of lost things.

Jennifersrabbit Sat 01-Nov-14 20:12:49

Bit left field but Chris/ Christopher Brookmyre (not fantasy, but same black humour capacity)

Or for more fantasy with a sense of humour the Temeraire books - Jane Austen with dragons!

Elfina Sat 01-Nov-14 20:53:46

This list almost makes me want to get on the train Monday morning grin

AwkwardSquad Sun 02-Nov-14 14:20:07

In the London and magic theme, try Kate Griffin, Tom Pollock and Paul Cornell.

AuntieStella Sun 02-Nov-14 14:42:34

Thanks for posting this!

I hadn't realised there was a new one, and I've just ordered a Kindle edition (says it'll arrive on 13th)

DownByTheRiverside Sun 02-Nov-14 14:44:35

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Takver Sun 02-Nov-14 15:19:31

Agree Temeraire (though I thought it fell off a lot after the first couple), and also Christopher Brookmyre.

Again not exactly the same, but I liked the Parasol Protectorate (very lighthearted steampunk)

Takver Sun 02-Nov-14 15:21:11

If you haven't read it, would also really recommend The City and The City by China Mieville

Enb76 Sun 02-Nov-14 15:28:50

How come you've already got Foxglove Summer? It's not out yet as far as I can see.

Anyway, if you liked that...
Gaiman's Neverwhere
Kate Griffen - midnight mayor series plus the stray souls stuff
Carey - Felix Castor
Shevdon - Sixty-one Nails

I think Kate Griffen is a fantastic writer and most of her stuff is worth a read.

Elfina Sun 02-Nov-14 17:16:48

Whoops, sorry,rant I've read first 4, waiting for 5th smile

ArtemisCake Sun 02-Nov-14 17:23:05

Also Benedict Jacka, not as good as Rivers of London but enjoyable and also set in London. Maybe the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and I second Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman having just read it again and really enjoyed it.

TurboTheChicken Tue 04-Nov-14 11:17:39

The Bryant & May series by Christopher Fowler - fabulous!

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 04-Nov-14 22:01:30

Aaronovich has put a Rivers of London short story on his blog (27 October 2014 'The Home Crowd Advantage' ) - temporarilysignificant.blogspot.co.uk/.
<impatiently awaiting ^Foxglove Summer^>

DuchessofMalfi Wed 05-Nov-14 11:50:15

Thanks Where smile - will have a look later. Drumming fingers impatiently here too grin

Outforanotherwalkbitch Sun 09-Nov-14 20:56:12

5 days to go till new book comes out!!!!!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 14-Nov-14 16:51:17

Belatedly come across this thread and if you like Aaronovitch/Fforde/Cornell I would highly recommend Charles Stross's Laundry novels which are John Le Carre meets 21st Century police procedural meets Chthulu.
Wikipedia list here.

Wowthishurtsalot Sat 15-Nov-14 23:02:58

I've finished the latest...I need more!!!

I've read most of the suggestions on this thread too so now I'm stuck!

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 15-Nov-14 23:16:00

With great trepidation I picked the first one up today. I'm trying not to set the bar at Bryant and May......

DialMforMildred Mon 17-Nov-14 15:22:59

I absolutely love the Peter Grant series but I was a bit disappointed with Foxglove Summer. Herefordshire is a really spooky old place, and I didn't think he did it justice - the whole book could have done with a bit more research and another edit, I think. It made me realise that London is a whole character in those books, not just the setting.

Wowthishurtsalot Mon 17-Nov-14 16:11:19

It definitely needed another edit, I lost count how many times Hugh Oswald was described as grandfather then in the next sentence as father!

DuchessofMalfi Mon 17-Nov-14 16:47:33

I've found this in the earlier novels too, Wow. Can't remember which one it was now, but someone was described as having been to Oxford University. On the next page apparently he'd been to Cambridge. Edit/proof-read fail. Annoying when simple errors creep in and don't get picked up.

I'm still on the waiting list for a library copy but have lowered my expectations of a good read. I thought Broken Homes was a bit weak, so maybe the series is running its course. Hope not, though, because they are so original and I love Ben Aaronovitch's sense of humour.

I also think London plays a huge role in the novels - it's essential, and I've looked forward to reading all the snippets of information about the city.

MonstrousRatbag Mon 17-Nov-14 17:06:30

Slightly different, but Neal Stephenson's trilogy The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World) is worth a look. You could call it historical fantasy/ magic realism, but really it isn't easily categorised. London at the time of Newton, the Great Fire and other times is beautifully described. It's funny too.

This is a good article on the London Fantasy genre.

MonstrousRatbag Mon 17-Nov-14 17:26:57

Dream London by Tony Ballantyne is worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now