Talk

Advanced search

Commuter book recommendations please

(11 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Thu 30-Oct-14 17:47:40

Nothing too heavy as my journey is quite noisy and involves lots of changes so the book needs to be easy to pick up and put down.

Something gripping though.

I haven't read much in 5 years as I've been a SAHM to three DCs but have just gone back to work and have some reading time during my commute.

What are the best books from the last five years?

T0R1 Fri 31-Oct-14 00:05:27

Apple Tree Yard - fastest I've read a book since I was a kid. And it's not chick lit.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 31-Oct-14 04:50:21

yy to Apple Tree Yard. Page turner, really enjoyable. Also The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - v funny.

Maybe, if you like crime novels - The Murder Bag by Tony Parsons is a good one, and Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series - start with The Various Haunts of Men.

Southeastdweller Fri 31-Oct-14 08:25:04

I agree with the others on Apple Tree Yard, one of the few books I've read this year that I found hard to put down.

ChippyMinton Fri 31-Oct-14 08:44:00

Short stories to dip into?
That Glimpse of Truth - various
Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
The Collected Stories of Lorrie Moore

Some authors to browse:
Kate Morton
Victoria Hislop
Jojo Moyes
Jodi Picoult
Kate Atkinson

Have you considered an e-reader or Kindle app?

tripfiction Sun 02-Nov-14 22:42:10

Oh, this might be perfect: "Us" by David Nicholls.... full of humour and wry observations, short chapters perfect for the tube, takes you around Europe, and personally can't put it down.....

Trills Sun 02-Nov-14 22:44:30

Nothing too heavy as my journey is quite noisy and involves lots of changes so the book needs to be easy to pick up and put down.

At first I thought you meant not a large hardback, because you'd need to hold it with one hand...

marceline Wed 05-Nov-14 23:42:34

I'm just reading 'The Woodcutter' by Reginald Hill. Gripping story, sort of a modern Count of Monte Cristo, gripping and very well written. I think it would be perfect commute reading. Although I am listening on Audible, so not sure how heavy it is!

SarahCraine Thu 06-Nov-14 05:05:25

I, too, love to carry a copy of The Awakening by Kate Chopin everytime I travel. This has become my company since then. This is a great book about feminism that every woman couldn't stop turning pages on.

bookwormbeagle Thu 06-Nov-14 11:06:44

marceline I loved the woodcutter, a fantastic book and I thought the narrator did a great job! Would thoroughly recommend smile

Lilymaid Thu 06-Nov-14 11:14:10

Definitely get an e-reader/app. Light, easy to hold and you can load lots of books onto it, so never run out of reading material.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now