Talk

Advanced search

Haunting Stories

(10 Posts)
ginnycreeper5 Tue 28-Oct-14 22:12:05

Books that have stayed with you long after you read them.

One that did it for me:-

Come Home Charlie and Face Them by RF Delderfield

To me, that whole business of concealing a body and gettting on with the rest of your life (but never knowing it would be discovered at any time) is just horrifying and fascinating at the same time.

LionsTeeth Tue 28-Oct-14 22:49:51

There's a children's series called Once and Then by Moris Gleitzman which tells the story of a young jewish boy during the holocaust. Very very haunting and extremely good.
The Return by Victoria Hislop has also stayed with me - the events of the Spanish civil war were and remain shocking.
Primo Levi's If this is a Man has to top the list though. Truly impossible to forget and a read that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
I suppose overall books based upon true stories have the most effect on me and stay with me.

ginnycreeper5 Tue 28-Oct-14 23:01:52

If this is a Man is worth a read!

joanofarchitrave Tue 28-Oct-14 23:04:31

Talking of the Spanish Civil War I really enjoyed Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom - well, apart from about the last 50 pages. The first half was absolutely wonderful and has stayed with me.

I agree re If this is a man. Also The Periodic Table.

ginnycreeper5 Tue 28-Oct-14 23:08:58

Just looked up the blurb on Amazon. Will definitely be buying If This is a Man

ginnycreeper5 Tue 28-Oct-14 23:16:06

Come Home Charlie and Face Them was also a mini series.
(must have been quite good for them to make a mini series out of it)

The subject matter, on first appearances, seemes quite boring. But, there is something a bit sinister (in a buried body/skeleton in the closet which people might just discover one day kind of way).
These are often the best type of stories. They meander along in a mundane fashion, but carry sinister, haunting undertones - which is all the more shocking.
Stories of ^contrast6

ginnycreeper5 Tue 28-Oct-14 23:17:10

Stories of contrasts

LionsTeeth Tue 28-Oct-14 23:26:43

With regard to If This Is a Man, Primo Levi, the author, committed suicide in 1987. A close friend of his, another holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel said that Primo had in fact died forty years ago, in Auschwitz. Truly haunting.

ginnycreeper5 Tue 28-Oct-14 23:34:39

I love reading Holocaust Stories hope that isn't wrong hmm
Anybody read Sophies Choice?

TheWhisperingDeath Wed 05-Nov-14 18:32:52

Both Primo Levi and Elie Wiesel's books are haunting - as is much I've read about the Holocaust. I read a book called Lost Voices of The Holocaust a few years ago - verbatim accounts from many European Jews. Heart-wrenching, terrifying and definitely haunting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now