Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best histories of the first world war

(4 Posts)
katsnmouse Sat 25-Oct-14 21:05:39

Feeling very ashamed at my sketchy knowledge of ww1, needing some enlightenment. Any suggestions for 'accessible' books that deal with this subject?

MollyMaDurga Sun 26-Oct-14 15:20:38

I read Wade Davis Everest book this year. It's called Into the silence, Mallory, the Great war and the conquest of Everest. I don't know how you feel about the mountain stuff but this book deals with the war in a very thorough way. It is a stunning read, there is obviously a lot of death, but it is a fabulous book, one of the best I've read. Like ever! You will get a good picture of what the war was like with this. And you can stop after it if you don't fancy the mountain stiff, but it's all fascinating stuff.

hackmum Tue 04-Nov-14 19:27:01

I haven't read this one, so not really a recommendation, but the other day Jonathan Jones in the Guardian recommended The Sleepwalkers, which is about the causes of WW1. As i've never understood the causes (in common with most people, I think), I think I'll give it a go. It seems to have been very well received:

www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sleepwalkers-Europe-Went-1914/dp/006114665X

Muskey Tue 04-Nov-14 19:31:38

Lyn macdonald has written a whole series of very accessible books about ww1. For example roses of no mans land is about ww1 nurses whilst Somme focuses on that battleground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now