Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good zombie/post apocalyptic book?

(45 Posts)
Kasterborous Wed 22-Oct-14 15:30:22

Just that really. I enjoyed The Day of the Triffids and The Enemy series by Charlie Higson.

Mcnorton Wed 22-Oct-14 15:38:04

The girl With all the gifts by MR Carey. Just finished it, really good.

RicStar Wed 22-Oct-14 15:46:20

Station Eleven. Just read & loved (no zombies though) am now reading the girl with all the gifts too.

Kasterborous Wed 22-Oct-14 15:55:14

Thanks for those I've just bought The Girl with all the gifts on my kindle

MrsHowardRoark Wed 22-Oct-14 15:58:47

Stephen King's The Stand is excellent.
If you haven't read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, don't unless you are prepared for the grimmest book ever. You can't unread that stuff.

RRRJ83 Wed 22-Oct-14 16:00:08

I am legend

LadySlipper Wed 22-Oct-14 16:04:28

Swan Song - Robert McCammon.

Timeandtune Wed 22-Oct-14 16:09:45

Agree Station Eleven is unforgettable

GoingToBedfordshire Wed 22-Oct-14 16:11:08

I really enjoyed World War Z.

Selendra Wed 22-Oct-14 16:14:48

Mira Grant's Newsflesh series.

MollyMaDurga Thu 23-Oct-14 09:35:39

Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes. Not classic zombie, not post-apocalyptic but well weird and a great read.
Justin Cronin is vampires but post-apocalyptic and also very good, the Passage and the Twelve, there a part three on the way.

CoteDAzur Thu 23-Oct-14 09:39:19

The Girl With All The Gifts is stupid not that great.

World War Z is very good and has very little in common with the film.

The Passage is pretty good, its sequel not so much.

Petallic Thu 23-Oct-14 09:41:58

Another vote for I Am Legend - even if you have seen the film as the book is a far better read I think.

AnathemaIsANiceNameForAGirl Thu 23-Oct-14 09:43:03

Agree with most of the above and would add I Zombie by Hugh Howdy and The Reapers Are the Angels (can't remember author).

The Death of Grass by John Christopher is a good non-zombie post-apocalyptic one.

AnathemaIsANiceNameForAGirl Thu 23-Oct-14 09:43:39

*Howey not howdy

Azurea Thu 23-Oct-14 10:28:44

I loved World War Z. I didn't like I am legend, I thought it was boring.

AliceLidaaagggghhhhhl Thu 23-Oct-14 17:14:13

I quite liked Wool by Hugh Howey, and it's sequels, Shift and Dust.

I've read a couple of books in the Extinction Point series by Paul Antony Jones on Kindle and they were quite good. Just bought the third and final part.

I agree with Day of the Triffids, The Stand and The Girl With All The Gifts as well, all very good books.

I did buy some very odd stories on Kindle, by an author called Stant Litore, that make up the zombie bible. And that's what they seem to be, bible stories with a zombie twist to them. The first one I bought was called Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows and tells the story of Jerimiah, stuck down well as punishment and having a zombie dropped down on him once a day. I'm not sure if I'm recommending them or just informing you that they exist, that's how odd they are grin

Didactylos Thu 23-Oct-14 17:20:07

oryx and crake
post apocylyptic but no zombies

ArkhamOffett Thu 23-Oct-14 17:33:33

Bird Box by Josh Malerman. No zombies, something worse.....

Archfarchnad Thu 23-Oct-14 17:41:35

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is most amusing. Not really post-apocalyptic though. It's a book of manners and brains.

MrsJaqenHgar Thu 23-Oct-14 17:45:04

All The Dead Are Here by Pete Bevan.

impatienceisavirtue Thu 23-Oct-14 17:59:18

Oooh I love a good zombie book thread

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Thu 23-Oct-14 18:34:45

Yes to, 'The Passage.'

King's 'Cell' is more zombie-ish but nowhere near as good as, 'The Stand.'

Yes to, 'World War Z.'

I didn't like, 'The Death of Grass' much, or, 'I am Legend.'

The Mira Grant series isn't great literature by any means but is worth a read.

I couldn't read, 'The Girl with all the Gifts' or, 'Wool' because I thought they were really badly written.

I've finally just read, 'Earth Abides' which gets mentioned a lot on post-apocalyptic threads. I quite liked it - no zombies though!

Tanukisan Thu 23-Oct-14 18:36:08

See I thought The Passage was shite and loved The Girl with all the Gifts

Azurea Thu 23-Oct-14 19:17:32

Another one for Wool, I really enjoyed it. I read a series of books called Day by Day Armageddon, not the best written books but good if you just want some good old zombie fiction, I really enjoyed the first one, second was good and the third was just ok got a bit silly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: