Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What books aimed at teen/young adults do you enjoy?

(73 Posts)
Kasterborous Fri 17-Oct-14 22:37:03

I liked The Hunger Games and Harry Potter. I've just discoverd the Lockwood and Co ones by Jonathan Stroud. They are about hunting for the sources of ghosts, I really enjoyed the first and I am part way through the second and I'm really enjoying it.

FelixTitling Fri 17-Oct-14 22:38:47

I have just read I Am Number Four and really enjoyed it.

RJnomore Fri 17-Oct-14 22:40:28

Twilight

blush

I know it's shite...

Should I name change now?

There's a series called Evermore too which I like,

And the morganville vampires series is ACE.

bigbluestars Fri 17-Oct-14 22:40:40

Sophie's World- although I didn't know it was a teenage book when I read it.

IAlreadyToldYou Fri 17-Oct-14 22:42:07

I loved the hunger games and Harry Potter too so I'll have a look out for the other one you mention.

Maggoe Stiefvater is a brilliant ya writer. Her best book imo is The Scorpio Races and I also enjoyed The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.

Looking for Alaska by John Green is really good too and I've heard great things about The Fault in Our Stars, also by him but I won't read it because I'm a sap and it has a very emotional storyline!

melonribena Fri 17-Oct-14 22:43:07

The book thief
Hunger games
Harry Potter
Twilight

ClashCityRocker Fri 17-Oct-14 22:43:08

I really enjoyed the divergent trilogy, and it bugs me.

It's not particularly well written, the storyline has more holes than leerdamer (sp?) cheese and it's just so blimmin' obvious ...

But I really, really like it.

I'm refusing to even try twilight just in case.

confusedalways Fri 17-Oct-14 22:43:11

I've just finished a trilogy that was really good I thought. The first book is called slated. I found it in the teen bit of the library.

FeelingScaredAndWorried Fri 17-Oct-14 22:43:38

Also, (can't believe I forgot this because it's a brilliant book) We Were Liars by E Lockhart.

Iamcuriousyellow Fri 17-Oct-14 22:51:39

Anything by Patrick Ness - the Chaos Walking trilogy, and particularly The Knife of Never Letting Go - I pre read these for my teens and now search his work out. He writes deep, but not too much so. Also Robin Hobb! She writes grown up but nothing gross and amazingly imaginative so very suitable for mid teens.

Kasterborous Fri 17-Oct-14 22:54:04

I'd forgotten about the Chaos Walking trilogy I enjoyed those too. I liked the Twilight ones but not hugely so.

ladybird69 Fri 17-Oct-14 22:57:12

The Host by Stephanie Meyer was brilliant as is the skulduggery pleasant series v v funny.

MissMillament Fri 17-Oct-14 23:04:02

I recently read and enjoyed Code Name Verity and its sequel, Rose Under Fire - fab WWII historicals centering around female pilots. I loved We Were Liars too and The Miseducation of Cameron Post, all of which I read on holiday this year. Great thing about being an English teacher, I can claim all the YA fiction I read is for work!

PlantsAndFlowers Fri 17-Oct-14 23:16:09

Philip Pullman

Maryz Fri 17-Oct-14 23:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TongueBiter Fri 17-Oct-14 23:34:44

The Gone series by Michael Grant.

unlucky83 Fri 17-Oct-14 23:48:59

I've been reading the same books as DD1 (13) - so harry potter, divergent triology, the Hunger games and the first 2 percy jackson books.
Mainly so we had something to talk about ..and I got the jokes etc she finds on you tube (unfortunately I don't always cos I haven't retained the finer points.blush)
DD has now decided I'm not allowed to read them anymore as I am copying her confused - in fact she hid the 2nd percy jackson from me and I was annoyed cos I wanted to know the end!...did get it back but had to promise not to read the 3rd one!
She is still reading the Percy Jacksons - and has started reading The Mortal Instruments and it is the first time for a long time I caught her awake reading in the middle of the night as she couldn't put it down - I've just ordered the next one from the library for her...
So I guess if you liked Divergent & the Hunger games try the Percy Jacksons and the Mortal Instruments....

Maryz Sat 18-Oct-14 00:25:22

MarionHaste Sat 18-Oct-14 19:00:51

I read Reconstructing Amelia, which was recommended by my teenager. I really liked it and it should be required reading for mothers of teenage DDs.

Bert2e Sat 18-Oct-14 19:03:26

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy - I never read them as a teen!

MrsTaraPlumbing Sun 19-Oct-14 09:44:18

I've read the books mentioned by the OP.
I loved the Percy Jackson books (target audience about 9-12) + Kane Chronicles by same Author - Rick Riordan.
Enjoyed All the Mortal Instruments books (target audience more like 14+)- but they are heavy on trashy romance so I might not admit it face to face!

I liked the Roar by Emma Clayton.
I'll give it some thought as I'm sure there are others I have liked. But if you like some humour in your fantasy action stories then definitely choose Riordan.

BippityBoppity Sun 19-Oct-14 10:02:23

Skullduggery Pleasant and Artemis Fowl are ones we all enjoy.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 19-Oct-14 10:12:07

Dystopians, contemporaries, historicals. Not fantasy so much but that's just personal taste.

V happy to see Code Name Verity mentioned below - that's a YA book I've been enthusiastically recommending to adults, both men and women.

B.R.Collins is excellent and totally under-rated - you never know what she's going to do next.
Mal Peet is just ridiculously good.
Helen Grant is terrific for spooky-yet-wryly-funny.
Sophie Mackenzie very good at gripping thrillers (though I see she's started writing for adults too).

Maryz Sun 19-Oct-14 10:24:46

Takver Sun 19-Oct-14 13:38:35

I've been reading quite a lot of YA fiction largely because dd gets to the library more often than I do, so it's easy to just pick up whatever she's last read grin
Liked: Divergent (a lot, but not so keen on the sequels), Uglies series, Hunger Games, Artemis Fowl (earlier books, thought they went down hill later in the series), Raven Boys (dd didn't like this one, so haven't read the sequels), anything by Frances Hardinge, anything by Diana Wynne Jones (in fact I can never figure out which are meant to be adult & which YA)
Wasn't so keen on Cat Patrick's books (Revived / The Originals)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now