Talk

Advanced search

Need some good thriller/whodunits

(15 Posts)
tintinenamerique Fri 12-Sep-14 19:23:10

As the title suggests, I'm going on holiday soon and want some page turners.
Loved 'Before I go to Sleep'.
Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
Twotallladies Fri 12-Sep-14 19:34:02

If you'd like something vintage, I've just finished The Postman always Rings Twice by James Cain. A fast, short read. Her and Alys, Always by Harriet Lane also good fast reads but more contemporary. One of my all time favs is Asylum by Patrick McGrath -- very gothic.

munchkin2902 Fri 12-Sep-14 19:42:14

The Tana French books in order. Or SJ Bolton books.

Ladyflip Fri 12-Sep-14 19:43:48

The Amber fury by Natalie Haynes, especially if you did classics at school. Excellent book.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 12-Sep-14 22:27:07

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith aka J K Rowling is a good crime novel in the traditional style. I liked it, not read The Silkworm yet. Also liked Tony Parsons' The Murder Bag.

If you like historical crime novels, then S J Parris' Giordano Bruno series is good - begins with Heresy.

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London is enjoyable. As is Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series beginning with The Various Haunts of Men.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 12-Sep-14 22:31:55

Also agree Harriet Lane'a Alys, Always and Her are excellent, quiet slow burning thrillers that just creep up on you.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 13-Sep-14 21:41:42

YY to the first Galbraith. The Silkworm was a load of rubbish though.

How about some Raymond Chandler? The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye are his best.

BestIsWest Sun 14-Sep-14 16:23:24

I liked the Peter May Lewis trilogy. Good suggestions above too re Robert Galbraith and Susan Hill.

Clawdy Sun 14-Sep-14 20:24:21

The Burning Air - Erin Kelly
Daughter - Jane Shemilt

spanky2 Sun 14-Sep-14 20:29:06

All Jo nesbo.
Yrsa sigurdadottir

TsukuruTazaki Sun 14-Sep-14 20:34:13

Stieg Larsson if you haven't read them all already
Child 44

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sun 14-Sep-14 20:38:35

Nicky Upson writes really involves and intricate (sometimes shocking) novels. Josephine Tey is her main character, who herself wrote whodunits in 1930s/40s which are simple and elegant. I like both.

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 14-Sep-14 22:17:02

I love thrillers!
A Kindle only one I was recommended recently was Power in the Blood, by Roland Kuhlmeyer (think I have spelt the name correctly), which is about a telly-Evangelist and some Islamic terrorists, from different groups within Islam, plus some others ... I'm not describing it well, but it was one of the most gripping books I've read for ages, and also quite funny in parts.
I also really enjoyed The Woodcutter, by Reginald Hill, about a guy falsely accused of heinous crimes, who goes to prison, ends up living in the rural North ... It's really quite good, and again, a real page-turner.
I also think Kate Atkins' Jackson Brodie series is very good. Especially "When will there be good news?"

imaginative Mon 15-Sep-14 16:45:41

Have you read 'Before I go to Sleep'? Can also highly recommend 'What Laura Saw' by Sarah King, and 'Eeny Meeny, by MJ Arlidge.

tintinenamerique Mon 15-Sep-14 17:55:54

Wow. Thanks for all the recommendations. That should keep me busy for a while

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in