Talk

Advanced search

Before I Go To Sleep

(37 Posts)
Northumberlandlass Mon 11-Aug-14 16:19:17

I'm on holiday, I have the worst prickly heat imaginable & I've been inside my apartment all day (blessed air con) For the first time in years, I've read a book in a day, totally gripped from start to finish!
Absolutely blinding!

OP’s posts: |
WhispersOfWickedness Mon 11-Aug-14 16:30:21

Ooo, is that the one where she has memory loss every night when she goes to sleep? I loved that one smile

Northumberlandlass Mon 11-Aug-14 16:33:25

That's the one Whispers! Loved it. Haven't read a book that good in a while smile

DearGirl Mon 11-Aug-14 16:34:59

I loved that book! Read it 2 years ago and still think about it.

juneybean Mon 11-Aug-14 16:36:32

Oh I really enjoyed that. If you're interested in the whole memory loss thing try Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Northumberlandlass Mon 11-Aug-14 16:37:20

I've just looked up the author on Twitter & apparently they are making it into a film with Colin Firth & Nicole Kidman!
Not sure I'll go & see it, films of books I love usually disappoint

amyhamster Mon 11-Aug-14 16:38:49

There's another film where someone loses their memory everyday with Drew Barrymore , can't remember it's name

Northumberlandlass Mon 11-Aug-14 16:41:39

Thanks Juney! Will look for it smile

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 11-Aug-14 22:47:54

Thanks Juney, will have a look for that one smile
Amy - yes, 50 first dates, I love that film grin it's a bit less sinister than BIGTS though!

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 11-Aug-14 22:51:26

Hmm, a film. Will probably end up seeing it, but sounds like the casting's wrong hmm Will come back and update when I've decided who should play them instead grin

Northumberlandlass Tue 12-Aug-14 06:55:40

Oh yes! Lets have a think of perfect casting...I agree, Nicole & Colin aren't quite right

WhispersOfWickedness Tue 12-Aug-14 19:27:08

Ok, Dr Nash would be played by Reid Scott. He played Cathy's doctor in The Big C, which I was probably watching when I read it, so he was who I imagined when I read about Dr Nash.
Nicole is much too slim and beautiful to play Christine. Still can't really work out who should play her though.
Her 'husband' should have a bit of stubble and NOT be Colin Firth! I think the guy they have got playing the doctor would have been better as the husband confused

imaginative Wed 13-Aug-14 12:48:51

I had looked at this book a while back but decided not to buy it as I thought it would be really repetitive. However, after reading these posts, I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for posting!

Northumberlandlass Thu 14-Aug-14 14:58:10

Oo Whispers! Good call.
I was thinking Andrew Scott (Moriarty, Sherlock)
Still no decision on Christine though....

imaginative Thu 14-Aug-14 17:50:40

Wow! Glad you started this thread OP. I downloaded the book yesterday and started reading it today. I am already a third the way through and totally hooked!

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 15-Aug-14 06:37:57

Ooo, yes, you're right, he would be great as the husband smile I think the trouble with casting Christine is that I imagine her as very ordinary looking, possibly a little plump, but of course there is no one like that in Hollywood hmm

SlinkyB Fri 15-Aug-14 06:52:55

I saw this book reviewed in a magazine recently and thought it looked good.

Only problem for me is that it might be a little close to home, as I lost my memory for a week or so just after having ds2 in January. Very scary sad

Will be a brave girl and read it though, if it's not too depressing?

Northumberlandlass Fri 15-Aug-14 08:38:56

Pleased you are enjoying it Imaginative smile Let me know what you think of it, once you've finished.

Whispers, I'm searching actresses for Christine. I agree Christine needs to be quite ordinary for the whole thing to work

Northumberlandlass Fri 15-Aug-14 08:41:16

Slinky - that must of been terrifying sad
Maybe it would be a bit too close to home, but Christine's memory loss is quite unique & possibly you could relate on a level I couldn't?

Northumberlandlass Fri 15-Aug-14 08:52:36

Whispers, what about Emily Watson?

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 15-Aug-14 22:46:20

Oh yes, she would work smile about the right age too smile

onedev Fri 15-Aug-14 23:41:36

Gone Girl is another good one if you like BIGTS (totally different but v good too!)

imaginative Sat 16-Aug-14 09:44:59

Finished it yesterday and loved every bit of it. I can highly recommend!

MrsBungle Sat 16-Aug-14 09:47:26

I really liked this book too. I was at the cinema yesterday and saw the poster for the film - Colin firth looked very dark and brooding. I didn't even notice it was Nicole Kidman on the poster!

MrsBungle Sat 16-Aug-14 09:50:10

Here's the poster - it's very obviously Kidman! Not sure how I didn't notice her! Anyway, they all look vair glam, Kidman (in this photo) looks absolutely nothing like how I imagine the character would look.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in