Talk

Advanced search

"The Embuggerance is finally catching up with me"

(3 Posts)
ChillieJeanie Thu 03-Jul-14 09:15:22

Sir Terry Pratchett has had to pull out of this year's Discworld Convention in Manchester as the effects of his Alzheimer's are progressing. Article here.

This is very sad news, although not unexpected. I saw him at the Cheltenham Literature Festival a couple of years ago and it was clear to me then that he was getting increasingly affected by it. His 'voice' hasn't been quite the same in his most recent books, although that could in part be due to having to dictate them now since he hasn't been able to type for a long time. Sir Terry is probably my favourite author, and I've had the fortune to meet him in person at several signings over the years. Having seen two grandparents die of dementia I find this news hitting me quite hard this morning.

OP’s posts: |
Flexibilityiskey Thu 03-Jul-14 10:20:59

That is a real shame. I can't say I'm a fan of his books, but he has impressed me with the way he has dealt with his diagnosis, and raised awareness. My Granddad also had dementia, it is a horrible condition that nobody should have to deal with.

Theincidental Thu 03-Jul-14 10:29:03

Just read and am having a little weep. He really is the most splendid of human beings and utterly extraordinary.

Amazing to think he's sold 75 million books - how many others can claim to have made so many laugh?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in