Talk

Advanced search

Latest Anne Tyler book - anyone read it?

(10 Posts)
dot1 Sat 27-Mar-04 21:12:36

Hello! dp and I are in the middle of a 'discussion' re: the end of the latest Anne Tyler book - an amateur marriage. I won't give the plot away here in case you haven't read it, but if anyone has, what do you think happens right at the end?! Sorry if this sounds a bit cryptic but I'd hate to spoil it for anyone who's just about to read it - but if you have, join the thread and we can swap views!

Grommit Sat 27-Mar-04 21:13:52

I love Anne Tyler - didn't realise she had a new book out!

dot1 Tue 30-Mar-04 18:02:38

yes - it's out in hardback, but looks like no-one's read it!

Fennel Tue 30-Mar-04 18:31:36

which book? I like her books too

but Dot1 we were convinced you were having the baby at present, how can you disappoint us on the April thread by just being out at a book club or similar?! or are you posting from your hospital bed?

tamum Tue 30-Mar-04 18:33:34

I've read all her others, but that's not much help is it? I would like to read this one, so if I manage before this thread gets archived I will definitely join in!

Fennel Tue 30-Mar-04 19:00:55

Oh I see, that's the title "an amateur marriage". sorry am being dense.
will read it sometime but not in time for this thread I suspect.

clary Wed 31-Mar-04 15:08:57

Danger: plotline given away!!!

Hello dot1 yes I have read it (big big fan). My brain must be going to mush as I can't remember a particular puzzle at the end... the wife dies doesn't she which is a bit of a shock btu what else happens?? Post again to see if you can refresh my memory!

clary Wed 31-Mar-04 15:19:28

Danger: plotline given away!!!

Hello dot1 yes I have read it (big big fan). My brain must be going to mush as I can't remember a particular puzzle at the end... the wife dies doesn't she which is a bit of a shock but what else happens?? Post again to see if you can refresh my memory!

clary Wed 31-Mar-04 15:25:00

durr, sorry about that double posting, i am really a big fan as you see. Something wrong with the computer...

dot1 Sun 04-Apr-04 01:15:43

PLOTLINE POSTING - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK!

Well, dp and I have been arguing (sort of), 'cos I think the very last few lines read like he knows he's going to die and meet up with his first wife - he's walking towards where she used to live and it's a metaphor for him dying??! But I could be completely wrong - dp isn't sure and just thinks he's taking a walk down the old streets again...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: