Talk

Advanced search

Recommend some books for me please!

(14 Posts)
TheOnlySeven Sun 30-Mar-14 21:01:30

It's my birthday this week, DH wants to know what to buy me but I don't really need/want anything, so I'm thinking books might be a good idea. I'm not a massive reader but want to make more time to read. I used to read a lot of chick lit but I'm wanting to start reading things that are a bit deeper and more serious. I recently read Apple Tree Yard and loved it. I'm not really a fan of books that I find upsetting, so no children being abandoned, dying from horrible diseases etc please

Thanks

CoteDAzur Sun 30-Mar-14 21:10:54

Ask him to get you a Kindle! You will have lots of fun choosing your books on Amazon, instantly receiving them on your Kindle, and if my experience & those of my friends is an indication, you'll read more than you ever have smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Mar-14 21:12:35

The Poisonwood Bible

Rebecca

My Cousin Rachel

A Fatal Inversion

The Help

I've enjoyed all of the abovesmile

storynanny Sun 30-Mar-14 21:12:42

I second the Kindle, not only will you love it, it will open up new authors for you based on the genres you like. And you can get fab covers, it is almost like choosing a new handbag!

sooperdooper Sun 30-Mar-14 21:13:57

Yeah, a Kindle if you don't have one, I love mine and I never thought I would!

The last books I've enjoyed were Maggie O'Farrell, Instructions for a Heatwave and Khaled Hussain, And the Mountains Echoed smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Mar-14 21:14:14

Oh yes,a kindle good idea! I spend some evenings just searching for books to download, plus you get samples so you can try before you buy!

sooperdooper Sun 30-Mar-14 21:15:30

What I love with a Kindle as well, you can get a sample of books to see if you like the first chapter or so smile

TheOnlySeven Sun 30-Mar-14 21:16:19

I'm old fashioned I'm afraid. I have a kobo and I don't really use it. I just prefer a proper book.

SerenaJoy Sun 30-Mar-14 21:39:00

How about Margaret Atwood? The Handmaid's Tale, Cat's Eye and Alias Grace are all good. I also enjoyed Atonement by Ian McEwan, and The Remains Of The Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

If you like historical fiction, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel is one of the best books I've read in a long time, with the sequel (Bring Up The Bodies) a close second. The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett is also a good read.

Happy birthday when it comes smile

GoooRooo Sun 30-Mar-14 21:44:53

Off the top of my head...

Wool, by Hugh Howey. It's not chick lit in the slightest and it's something I would never usually pick up but a friend recommended it and I LOVED it.

Anything by Phillipa Gregory if you like historical fiction - I particularly enjoyed the Wideacre series.

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.

SerenaJoy Sun 30-Mar-14 21:51:24

Ooh yes, Fingersmith is fab!

cazzybabs Sun 30-Mar-14 21:57:11

life after life kate atkinson

goldfinch donna tartt

Wolf hall

The Wild Places Robert Macfarlane

Stoner John Williams

GoooRooo Sun 30-Mar-14 21:57:19

Serena I read Handmaid's Tale for A Level English Lit and it gave me a hatred for Margaret Atwood. I read Alias Grace hoping I might get over it but I still despised her writing - I found it really odd. To be fair, I was 19 at the time. Now I'm nearly 40 maybe I should cut her a break and give her another try.

SerenaJoy Sun 30-Mar-14 22:10:59

I read it at school too GoooRooo! I've read it many times since. Her writing style is very distinctive but it's worth persevering until you get used to it. In my opinion, anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now