Talk

Advanced search

Suggest some good, well written detective fiction for me?

(80 Posts)
LEMmingaround Sun 16-Mar-14 21:42:37

I fancied some detective fiction - nothing too high brow, i want easy to read and gripping, preferably not american.

I just read something by Peter James, really disappointing - it was just crap, predictable, mysoginistic and unrealistic. So that would be a good guide for what i don't like............grin

SpiderStacy Sun 16-Mar-14 21:51:04

Christopher Brookmyre? Some Kate Atkinson?

onelittlepiglet Sun 16-Mar-14 21:52:51

The series by Kate Atkinson about a detective called Jackson Brodie is really good. Can't remember which book it starts with - possibly Case Histories? There are a few others too. But they are all really good and easy to get into but well written. He's also a great character.

Hope this is the kind of thing you are after!

LEMmingaround Sun 16-Mar-14 21:55:54

Thanks, will look those up, need something for my kindle smile

tribpot Sun 16-Mar-14 21:57:37

Bugger, so I guess you don't fancy Sara Paretsky? (American but awesome).

exexpat Sun 16-Mar-14 22:00:09

How about Jim Kelly - interesting, well-written, set in the Fens. I think the first in the series is The Water Clock.

angryangryyoungwoman Sun 16-Mar-14 22:01:41

Jo nesbo, the harry hole series

LoveMyBoots Sun 16-Mar-14 22:07:08

Ian Rankin's Rebus books are quite addictive!

Theas18 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:12:21

Recent hits for me have been...

The Mathew shardlake series by c j Samson ( historical base but really they are just well written murder mysteries with nice interweaving plots).

The Lewis man trilogy by peter may - gritty but not in the same way as my usual Jeffrey deaver. DH enjoyed these and he doesn't do the American stuff At all.

And branching out in another direction - forensic anthropology from Jefferson bass body farm is great(though American it's much better than the Bones books) and the English equivalent the David hunter books - author escapes me at the moment.

Theas18 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:13:07

Oh and dh has read many George gently books if the tickles your fancy. It's a bit slow for me!

Floralnomad Sun 16-Mar-14 22:15:20

My DH has been reading the Lee Child Jack Reacher books and he thinks they're good.

LadyBumps Sun 16-Mar-14 22:18:16

I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Nicci French (husband & wife writing dynamic duo) especially the Frieda Klein series.

HenriettaMaria Sun 16-Mar-14 22:20:28

Somebody on here - can't remember who, sorry - recommended Catriona McPherson's Dandy Gilver series.
I've read 5 of them so far and have really enjoyed them.

AtYourCervix Sun 16-Mar-14 22:21:31

Have you tried camilla lackberg? Swedish crime. interesting but not too gory. I really like her.

Theas18 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:22:12

How did I forget jack reacher! American yes but good. Bit samey if you binge on them though.

maillotjaune Sun 16-Mar-14 22:24:47

Shardlake is good.

Have you read any Scandinavian stuff? I liked Wallander (Henning Mankell, lots of them) best but if you wanted retro then the Inspector Beck ones are a good read, set in 60s Stockholm. Written by a couple, Sjowall and Wahloo.

Ludways Sun 16-Mar-14 22:24:56

The John Shakespeare series by Rory Clements are similar to Shardlake by CJ Sansom, but in Elizabethan times.

Stuart McBride is good too.

Ubik1 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:26:51

I've started reading Ian rankin's rebus series start to finish on nightshift. They are great. Although the first one was written in 1985 and rankin's style of writing has changed a but since then

GlaikitFizzog Sun 16-Mar-14 22:28:38

Love Stuart mcbride, but as an ex police worker from Aberdeen I actually know who he based his characters on!!

magimedi Sun 16-Mar-14 22:38:15

Donna Leon - all set in Venice & the bonus is that the main protagonist/detective (Brunetti) is not an alcoholic & has a happy marriage to a strong feminist wife (Paola). I'm just re reading them from start of series & really enjoying them second time round.

GarthsUncle Sun 16-Mar-14 22:39:26

Dorothy L Sayers?

Roseformeplease Sun 16-Mar-14 22:39:40

YY to Peter May's Lewis Trilogy.

parques Sun 16-Mar-14 22:43:45

Sophie Hannah? Last couple are a bit dire, but earlier novels are quite gripping

MegTheCat Sun 16-Mar-14 22:48:21

The Falco books by Lindsay Davies are good if you don't mind historical (Roman). The first one is the Silver Pigs. The radio dramatisations are really good as well- they have them on radio 4 extra every so often.

SugarMouse1 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:51:55

Sherlock Holmes

agatha Christie

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: