Talk

Advanced search

The Child's Child by Barbara Vine - 99p on Kindle today (28/02/14)

(16 Posts)
SarahAndFuck Fri 28-Feb-14 10:44:46

Not sure if it's a daily deal or a longer one.

I've been watching it and waiting for the price to drop. Hopefully it will be better than the last couple of books I've been watching like this. grin

This is the blurb: "What sort of betrayal would drive a brother and sister apart?

When Grace and her brother Andrew inherit their grandmother's house, they surprise few people by deciding to move in together. But they've always got on well and the London house is large enough to split down the middle.

There's just one thing they've not taken into account though. What if one of them wants to bring a lover to the house? When Andrew's partner James moves in, and immediately picks a fight about the treatment of gay men, the balance is altered - with almost fatal consequences.

Barbara Vine's is the pen-name of Ruth Rendell, and The Child's Child is the first book she has published under that name since The Birthday Present in 2008. It's an intriguing examination of betrayal in families, and of those two once-unmentionable subjects, illegitimacy and homosexuality. A taut, thrilling read, it will be enjoyed by readers of P.D. James and Ian Rankin."

DuchessofMalfi Fri 28-Feb-14 12:58:18

I listened to this on audio book last year. The story is gripping - really enjoyed it. But I'm a bit confused as to why this book is all over the place at the moment. I'm sure it's not a new novel of hers - will have to check on Goodreads. Maybe there's a tv adaptation planned. Hope that's the case.

Definitely worth 99p, for a good novel. Recommended smile

DuchessofMalfi Fri 28-Feb-14 13:05:16

Published two years ago, not as long ago as I'd thought though.

PoshPaula Fri 28-Feb-14 13:11:04

I love Barbara Vine (and when she is Ruth Rendell too). Thanks for the information.

PortofinoRevisited Fri 28-Feb-14 13:24:22

Ooh - thanks for the tip!

SarahAndFuck Fri 28-Feb-14 14:55:41

Glad it has a recommendation now, I'm looking forward to reading it smile

NadiaWadia Fri 28-Feb-14 21:08:20

Dammit I just this week got a second hand hardback copy for £2.50 and thought I'd got myself a bargain! Ruth Rendell books are never reduced normally.

NadiaWadia Fri 28-Feb-14 21:30:19

And now it is £2.54 on Kindle. Eh? Have they started reducing prices just for a few hours?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 28-Feb-14 21:57:11

Oh Bugger,I bought it for 3.50 in tesco yesterday!

SarahAndFuck Sat 01-Mar-14 00:03:56

I find their prices very odd. Some things in my wish list fluctuate really randomly even in the space of a few hours.

NadiaWadia Sat 01-Mar-14 00:09:56

I thought if I checked my wishlist every 2-3 days that would be enough to get the reductions. But apparently not?

A lot of bargains I have seen have been posted by you Sarah so thanks for that. How often do you check?

DuchessofMalfi Sat 01-Mar-14 04:42:30

Nadia - have you used EreaderIQ at all? Can't link because on phone, hope someone else can for you. It imports your wishlist, you set a price drop that you want them to notify you about. So put 99p for all of them then they tell you when they reach that price. Also check in on the price drop threads on Kindle discussions. That way you get to find out quickly. There's some eagle eyed bargain hunters on there who don't miss a price drop grin

NadiaWadia Sat 01-Mar-14 07:00:54

S'OK, I will google it. Thanks for the tip!

But why do they change the prices all the time, sometimes 2-3 times a day I wonder? On Amazon in general really, not just kindle books. What purpose does it serve? You would think it would be time consuming for them, apart from anything else.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 01-Mar-14 08:13:16

Here it is, Nadia smile - I'm on my computer now. It's a very useful website.

NadiaWadia Sat 01-Mar-14 08:31:40

Thanks Duchess. That does look like a good website - seen 2 or 3 books I like the look of already. I will maybe set it up, import my wishlist etc over the weekend.

SarahAndFuck Sat 01-Mar-14 15:03:09

I try and remember to check every day or so. I get the daily deal email as well but I think the daily deals have been rubbish for weeks now, nothing has appealed to me.

I might use the website Duchess has suggested now as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now