Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Senator's Wife

(7 Posts)
petal2008 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:46:34

Am about a quarter of the way through- nothing is happening!

Do I persevere? Is there some major reveal?

One more chapter and if nothing happens it's going to the charity shop.

mmack Fri 21-Feb-14 18:57:32

If I remember correctly there isn't a major plot twist. It's more a character study. Do you want me to tell you what happens?

MorrisZapp Fri 21-Feb-14 18:59:40

I thought it was a bit rubbish. Something very odd happens at the end but it doesn't really make the slog worth it.

petal2008 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:29:44

mmack go for it.
Got to the bit where Meri is reading Delia's letters and it seems to have jumped back about 25 years now.

I don't mind character driven books but I don't know if I like any of the three characters so far. The young couple are just boring and I presume Delia has got a history but there is nothing that's encouraging me to find out what.

mmack Sat 22-Feb-14 11:19:06

***Spoilers**********

I read this a few years ago so I'm a bit hazy and open to correction. I think it ends with the Senator being back with his wife because he is ill somehow. The neighbour Meri(?) is feeling unattractive after having a baby and something happens between her and the Senator after he watches her breastfeeding. Delia sees this and finally calls time on the marriage. I don't remember what happens with Meri's marriage. I think I mainly remember it because the scene with the breastfeeding is a bit icky.

petal2008 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:25:06

Thanks mmack

Think will give up on the rest of it.

SarahAndFuck Sat 22-Feb-14 21:47:32

mmack is right.

And ****SPOILERS*******

From what I remember, Meri's marriage does survive. She lies about what happened with the Senator and claims that all Delia saw was her breastfeeding in front of him and over-reacted, and her husband believes her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now