Talk

Advanced search

Jasper Fforde

(31 Posts)

I loved the Thursday Next books (finished The Woman Who Died A Lot tonight) and I'm now impatiently awaiting Dark Reading Matter. Which of his other series is best to read in the meantime?

babybythesea Mon 17-Feb-14 11:33:12

I really enjoyed the first in the nursery crime series. The Big Over Easy. Haven't read any more in the series but I thought it compared well,although it's not quite as good as, the Thursday Next series.

Thanks baby, I'll have a look. Is that with the characters from The Well Of Lost Plots?

babybythesea Mon 17-Feb-14 12:18:37

Don't know -I've not got that far in the Thursday Next series. Sorry!
It features nursery rhyme figures. The tag line for The Big Over Easy is to do with Humpty Dumpty. Did he fall or was he pushed? The same sort of oddball humour but all with nursery rhyme characters. The detective, for example, is Jack Spratt.

Definitely sounds good, thanks. Hope you enjoy the rest of the Thursday Nexts grin.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 17-Feb-14 13:25:43

Me and dh like Shades of Grey. It's currently the only one in the series and I'm desperately waiting for the next one. It's different from the Thursday Next books but possibly better. grin

WednesdayNext Mon 17-Feb-14 13:30:03

Shades of Grey is very good.

I'd also give the Nursery Crimes a go- they're brilliant!

Thanks, Annoyed and Wednesday!

I'll have some Battenburg if you've got any going?

What's Shades of Grey about?

weebarra Mon 17-Feb-14 16:19:31

Annoyed - also impatiently waiting for the next in the Shades of Grey series, he's taking his time!

Ok the Amazon description of Shades of Grey sounds interesting.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 17-Feb-14 18:03:28

Weebarra tell me about it!!

I really don't know how to describe it without it sounding political. It's kind of a hierarchy world based on your colour but with all the colours of the rainbow. The the more pure your colour the higher up you are socially.

grin I was trying to explain to someone what the Thursday books were about. Being hard to describe seems to be a Fforde trademark doesn't it? Thanks to all of you - that's my reading list sorted for now.

ThursdayLast Mon 17-Feb-14 20:01:13

All of them grin
(Guess what? I'm a fan )
Even The Last Dragon Slayer series, which is YA fiction. I read it when DS was bfing all day and all night so was perfect for my baby brain.

ThursdayLast Mon 17-Feb-14 20:03:36

I saw someone comment somewhere once, wondering aloud how many people ended up with Shades of Grey when they'd ordered 50 Shades...

Fforde is difficult enough to get your head around when you're expecting it...I cant even imagine the confusion grin

Thursday grin

Dunwhingin Mon 17-Feb-14 20:06:00

LOVE Jasper Fforde and I'm worried that he isn't ever going to write another book. The second shades of grey is overdue and I very impatient!
I love everything he writes, just such a great left field view of traditional stories or society
Want more! come on Jasper!

LostInWales Mon 17-Feb-14 20:08:15

All of them indeed. Awesome NN there :-D I love all of them, think I'm going to have to go back and re read he Shades of Grey tonight now.

I don't know about the second Shades of Grey but his website said he's working on a Dragonslayer book ATM. And that there will be another Thursday grin

ThursdayLast Mon 17-Feb-14 20:10:20

There is A LOT of extra material on his website/s.
Did you know there's such a thing as the Fforde Ffiesta in Swindon EVERY YEAR??? I cant quite bring myself to geek out so completely yet smile

Wow. I didn't... Got to look at this now!

Blimey. Legions of Danverclones advancing on Asda. And lobster sightings.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 17-Feb-14 21:00:12

I would LOVE to go to a Fforde Ffiesta! grin

WednesdayNext Fri 21-Feb-14 13:44:30

I'd love to go too!

ThursdayLast did you enjoy the Dragon slayer books? I've got 2 and not read either of them yet!

ThursdayLast Tue 25-Feb-14 20:45:12

Wednesday I'm sorry for not answering sooner!
Yes, I really enjoyed them, but as I mentioned, they were ipad kindle reads in the dark as I put myself to bed at 8.30pm in the early weeks of first time motherhood wink
What I didn't need was challenging, and they fit the bill perfectly. If you've read his others, you'll recognise lots of elements, but I didn't think that detracted.

I'm so sad that after I declared the Fforde Ffiesta to be ANNUAL, they changed it!
Maybe we'll all go in 2014 grin

WednesdayNext Thu 27-Feb-14 13:44:49

Yay! I'll definitely read them at some point. Thank you for the reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now