Talk

Advanced search

does anyone read Kingsley Amis these days?

(8 Posts)
carlajean Thu 06-Feb-14 20:03:05

I'm just rereading him and think it's a shame how underappreciated he is these days. I don't enjoy them all, but The Old Devils, The Folks that Live on the Hill, and The Green Man Are all worth reading, and very perceptive about relationships IMO. Does anyone else enjoy him?

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 06-Feb-14 20:09:40

I remember reading The Folks That Live On The Hill years ago, but don't remember much about it. Didn't he win the Booker Prize at some point?

Maybe he was eclipsed by his son, Martin, and lost popularity a bit. I don't think I've ever read any Martin Amis though, so couldn't compare them.

Dromedary Thu 06-Feb-14 20:12:51

I loved Lucky Jim, and the couple of others I've read.
Remember that great story about him and his children's bananas during rationing?

carlajean Thu 06-Feb-14 20:18:00

That was Evelyn Waugh dromedary. Good story though (I assume you mean where he ate the whole ration, in front of them).

Dromedary Thu 06-Feb-14 20:32:42

Ah, I got mixed up. It's Evelyn Waugh's books I like, plus Lucky Jim. I'm told that Lucky Jim is a nasty woman hating book, but found it very funny in my youth.

bibliomania Fri 07-Feb-14 11:46:11

I quite like Lucky Jim (and Dromedary, I adore Scoop).

Quangle Fri 07-Feb-14 19:51:10

Can't get beyond the woman-hating. Also I just find him tiresome.

carlajean Fri 07-Feb-14 19:57:35

Which ones have you read?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now