Talk

Advanced search

Free on Kindle - She's Not Coming Home

(26 Posts)
SarahAndFuck Fri 31-Jan-14 14:13:17

I've had this on my wish list for a while, but it has some very mixed reviews (mostly about the writing rather than the story I think) so I had held off on buying it. However, at the moment it's being offered for free so I've downloaded it to give it a go.

This is the description, it sounds quite interesting, although as I said, some reviews are quite negative about the writing.

Every morning at 8:30 Ruth Gibbons kisses her husband and son goodbye, and sets off for work.
Every evening at 5pm, she finishes work, texts 'leaving now' to her husband Matthew, and begins her walk home.
Every night at 5:40 she arrives home, kisses her husband and son, and has dinner with her family.
Except tonight.

Matthew thought he had a pretty normal life. A nice home, a happy marriage, a beautiful son, and a job he enjoys.

Then it all changed.

He informs the police that Ruth has not returned home, but decides to search for her himself as well. His first call is to her place of work, where to his disbelief nobody has heard of her.

He begins to look further, and what he finds causes him to doubt everything he thought he knew about his wife, and to question his own sanity…

LiberalLibertine Fri 31-Jan-14 15:19:51

Oooo,I want to know what happened now! I'll down load it too smile thanks

glenthebattleostrich Fri 31-Jan-14 15:24:08

Ooh thanks. Just spotted 5 years a slave for 49p too.

mum2jakie Fri 31-Jan-14 22:21:25

Just downloaded this too. Thanks for the tip off. Sounds intriguing! x

toffeelolly Fri 31-Jan-14 23:37:56

Downloaded it , sounds fab. Thanks!

LiberalLibertine Sat 01-Feb-14 08:53:27

Anyone started reading it yet? Some of the details are far too.....Well detailed! But I'm into it anyway!

SarahAndFuck Sat 01-Feb-14 10:47:32

I haven't started it yet, I'm still reading two others and can't cope with a third yet.

I think one of the reviews said that it was quite detailed about things you wouldn't really want the details of Liberal. I'm glad you're still getting into it anyway.

And at least, if it turns out to be awful, it was free so abandoning it won't feel so bad grin

Sparklysilversequins Sat 01-Feb-14 11:31:24

I'm reading it. The author doesn't like women very much does he?

GertieBassett Sat 01-Feb-14 14:12:16

Great!! I just down loaded it.. Thanks����

myflabberisgasted Sun 02-Feb-14 13:37:42

Wow that sounds amazing! Thanks op off to download now smilethanks

LiberalLibertine Sun 02-Feb-14 13:48:56

Am 84% through it, still don't know wtf has happened! Good short read though.

SarahAndFuck Sun 02-Feb-14 21:39:09

I'm glad you're still enjoying it Liberal.

SnookyPooky Mon 03-Feb-14 19:13:02

Thanks! Just downloaded, I love a freebie and it sounds good.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 03-Feb-14 19:15:31

Doesn't he go into some tedious detail though? shock (That's a yawn btw).

I've finished it now but I will keep my thoughts to myself.

LiberalLibertine Tue 04-Feb-14 16:42:39

Well, that all came to a weird end didn't it?

I'm used to details being relevant too, so when he says 'my car was followed by a yellow cab' for example I expect it to mean something, and it didn't!

Was ok for a freebie, but won't be taking note of author for future reading!

Perfectlypurple Tue 04-Feb-14 16:44:21

I've read it before and enjoyed it.

TrampledUnderfoot Tue 04-Feb-14 16:47:46

I'm reading it, Its quite tedious and badly written,but I want to know what happens so I wlll finish it.

SarahAndFuck Tue 04-Feb-14 17:24:52

After recommending it, I still haven't started it grin

I'm sure I'll be annoyed by the details that go nowhere as well.

But I really want to know what happens to his wife.

I'm like this with the Sophie Hannah books. They sound great from the back cover and I want to know what happens, but halfway in I am cursing myself for giving her books another chance because of all the far-fetched nonsense she fills them up with.

AgathaF Tue 04-Feb-14 17:53:01

I'm about 40% through it. Not well written but readable is about the best I can say for it.

SnookyPooky Thu 06-Feb-14 18:29:49

I just finished it, overall I did enjoy it, was a page turner. Don't want to spoil it for anyone but I'm glad it was free and there are a few annoying plot holes.

AgathaF Thu 06-Feb-14 18:34:05

I finished it yesterday. It was ok, not great.

Sparkly is quite right saying the author doesn't like women much. Apparently, any woman who is with a man in a business suit in a bar or restaurant, holding hands or looking friendly is either a "hooker" (his word not mine) or his PA who he is shagging. Charming!

lemontwist Thu 06-Feb-14 18:43:04

Hmph, just looked and this isn't free any more.

SnookyPooky Thu 06-Feb-14 19:13:26

I noticed that too lemon, rather odd....

Sparklysilversequins Thu 06-Feb-14 19:51:49

Don't forget that his boss is a grade a bitch with no redeeming features whatsoever, his wife's friend Gail is also a "narcissistic bitch", his wife is ok but very secretive and a big old liar it turns out and his mum is a PITA who hen pecks his Dad, the women detective is also a bit of a back stabber too, did you notice that?

SarahAndFuck Thu 06-Feb-14 20:05:55

I didn't realise they would put the price back up so soon.

I still haven't started it. Not sure if I want to now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now