Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I am LOVING The Mists of Avalon

(22 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Wed 15-Jan-14 22:25:58

I saw it get recommended on a few threads so added it to an Amazon order out of curiosity. It didn't really sound like something I normally read (Terry Pratchett, Bill Bryson & Agatha Christie are favourites) but I figured I could give to the charity shop if I didn't like it.

I'm halfway through and I LOVE it. DD is 5 months old and housework is suffering because every nap I just try to get through a few more pages.

So thanks to everyone who recommended it.

ThoughtFox Thu 16-Jan-14 08:42:50

Sounds intriguing - what's it about?

Oh YES - brilliant book. It's the Arthur story from the viewpoint of Morgan le Fay.

Prawntoast Thu 16-Jan-14 08:51:12

It's the Arthurian legend but told from the women's perspective? I read the book years ago and really enjoyed it.....sidles off to see how much it is for the kindle version.....

Prawntoast Thu 16-Jan-14 08:53:29

£2.48, that's another book added to my electronic pile to read, absolute bargain and much easier to lug around!

HelgatheHairy Thu 16-Jan-14 10:04:39

I like it as well because I'm Irish so don't know much about the legend of King Arthur so it's all kind of new to me.

Lyonesse Thu 16-Jan-14 10:08:06

It's my favourite book ever! So much so that I have to restrain myself from reading it over and over again, in case I get bored of it (unlikely!)

YoucancallmeQueenBee Thu 16-Jan-14 10:08:22

It is the story of the Arthurian legend from the perspective of the Druids and particularly Morgan le Fay. It is an epic tale and written in a way that keeps you gripped from start to finish.

Galaxymum Thu 16-Jan-14 10:50:19

So glad I saw this thread. My SIL recommended the series a while back after she borrowed her friend's books. They are very difficult to find (or were a couple of years ago) - now downloaded the first three to my kindle. They are supposed to be excellent.

Marion Zimmer Bradley is pretty good all round - her books all get top marks in the Bechdel test.

HelgatheHairy Thu 16-Jan-14 13:12:32

I also find it very easy to read. 5month old DD means concentration level isn't the best but I have no problems following the story. I'm never left wondering "where did that person come from" or "who is that". I've read both lord of the rings and the game of thrones books and at times had to work backwards figuring out who characters were!

Johnogroats Thu 16-Jan-14 13:22:44

Just ordered the sample on kindle...sounds good! Thanks.

Chivetalking Thu 16-Jan-14 13:45:21

I gave up on this first time round but gave it another whirl years later and loved it.

Really absorbing.

TALLULAHBELLE Sat 18-Jan-14 04:09:08

Try 'The Firebrand' next. I loved Mists but thought this was even better. Similar but retells the fall of Troy from Kassandra's point of view.

Thanks Tallulah.

Caitlin17 Sat 18-Jan-14 23:09:07

I loved it years ago. Don't know where my copy is. I'd love to reread it. Another kindle sale.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 22-Jan-14 11:34:07

Oh that is my most favourite book ever, I just love it. I am just like Lyonesse, I keep reading it over every now and then. I first read it when I was about 19.

Firebrand is really good too but it makes me cry sad

oaks56 Thu 23-Jan-14 20:26:04

Amazing book, i love it xxx

Darkesteyes Wed 29-Jan-14 18:05:00

I read this when i was 18 Amazing book. Wish they would make a tv series out of it.

The Beltane Fires scenes particularly stick in my mind.

Oakmaiden Wed 29-Jan-14 18:09:33

There was an American TC series of Mists of Avalon, but it wasn't good.

Unlike the book, which is one of my all time favourites. Completely adore The Firebrand too, and the first MZB book I read Web of Darkness.

LaQueenOfTheNewYear Sat 01-Feb-14 17:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pennyink Wed 12-Feb-14 16:43:34

Adore this book. I first read it when I was studying the Arthurian legend at university - my mum's friend recommended it to give the female perspective. Have re-read several times since, plus lots of other books by MZB. Second favourite is The Catch Trap - it is just wonderful. Agree that The Firebrand is also utterly brilliant.

Wondering what other books of hers to try now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now